Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default FOR EETU & BRYNX: Panning on the model railroad

TA-DAH!

Let me know what you think. It was a tough shoot...About 60 attempts that netted 2 keepers. Used the 12-24mm f/4 on the D300s--the wide angled lens gave enough DoF as well as sufficient room to do some panning. Also used a tripod and the slow burst mode on the D300s.

Jehan

#1 was panned at 1/20 of a sec shutter

#2 was panned at 1/6 of a sec shutter: I prefer this one.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2

Your panning, while it may have taken a few shots, was well worth the realism it added. I hope you like my efforts. Id hang this up on a wall, at least one in the train room.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:11 PM   #3

Jehan, this is way, way too cool!!! Many thanks for giving it a try. It really looks to awesome!!! Now, being a first-born, which means I tend to be a perfectionist... oh, who am I kiddin... I am a jok'n perfectionist from the word go... Could you just try this again at different shutter-speeds... While this is on the "too awesome" scale, this model is a freight train, not some high-speed train in Germany or Japan... I just wonder if the realism might be pushed over the top if you experimented with different shutter speeds OR even adjusting the speed of the train. I would prefer the above to be just a tad "less" blury... Again, that is me... don't take this as a negative... Bynx, what do you say... what about engines... Bynx, any ideas? Any, this absolutely cool. Many thanks!!! And please send more! All the best. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Your panning, while it may have taken a few shots, was well worth the realism it added. I hope you like my efforts. Id hang this up on a wall, at least one in the train room.
Bynx: How on earth did you do what you did ??? I know it has something to do with masking, but this is alien territory for me since I am deficient in that aspect of Photoshop. Pray tell. What is really cool is that it takes the train out of my basement and places it smack-dab in the middle of Colorado!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Jehan, this is way, way too cool!!! Many thanks for giving it a try. It really looks to awesome!!! Now, being a first-born, which means I tend to be a perfectionist... oh, who am I kiddin... I am a jok'n perfectionist from the word go... Could you just try this again at different shutter-speeds... While this is on the "too awesome" scale, this model is a freight train, not some high-speed train in Germany or Japan... I just wonder if the realism might be pushed over the top if you experimented with different shutter speeds OR even adjusting the speed of the train. I would prefer the above to be just a tad "less" blury... Again, that is me... don't take this as a negative... Bynx, what do you say... what about engines... Bynx, any ideas? Any, this absolutely cool. Many thanks!!! And please send more! All the best. Ned
Thank you Ned. I too thought that the image of speed was too fast for a freight train. I tried various shutter speeds, panning speeds, and train speeds in my tests. In the various other combinations that I tried the models appeared static (to my eyes). The only ones that displayed motion were the ones that looked like the train had "speed" to it. So it was like "stop" or "racing". Image #1 above was about the slowest I could get it to look. Of course if the models I have were high speed "bullet" trains, this effect would fit very well.Interestingly when I have tried panning shots of actual freight trains, the speed is significantly exaggerated in the image!

But....since you've now raised the bar on me once more, I'm going to have to figure out how to convey a slower speed. I'd welcome any suggestions by other readers of this thread.

Also, I tried some other static shots from a lower angle--that which conveyed the view that a "scale" human would see if he/she was standing trackside. I'll post them in a separate thread.

As for now, it is time to get out of Lilliput and back to the real world

Jehan
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:14 PM   #5

Well, not sure what the answer is... Perhaps someone with more experience in panning might have an idea. Nevertheless, this is a fantastic shot!!! You will notic, Jehan, that in the first photo, the train is completely in focus... from beginning to end... Ah, but the second, the train is in focus in the front... notice the slight blur in the back... that shows the train in action. Absolutely spot on, I say. All the best. Ned
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:30 PM   #6
Super Moderator

jehan these look great. really gives your model trains alot of life! very creative use of panning and are my favorites from your model train pics. i just love seeing them in motion.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:03 PM   #7

Jelpee it was really quite easy. Just close cropped the top line of the hill and continued up the sides to enclose your basement room. Then I found a nice pic with clouds I liked and pasted it into the selection. I applied a bit of noise nijna on the clouds and cropped the bottom of the pic off. Glad you like it. As for motion. First off I never thought of the fact its a freight train. The speed you have simulated is not as near fast as what you could do with a longer shutter speed. I think the amount of sideways blurr is fine. You dont even need to shoot the scene, just close crop the train and apply a horizontal motion blur to the background. Give it enough blur to match a slow speed or fast speed.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
jehan these look great. really gives your model trains alot of life! very creative use of panning and are my favorites from your model train pics. i just love seeing them in motion.
Thanks Dustin...both Eetu (Ned) and Bynx suggested I try this and it has openned up a whole new aspect of model railroading photography. With Bynx's post processing suggestion, take a look at what I did below!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
You dont even need to shoot the scene, just close crop the train and apply a horizontal motion blur to the background. Give it enough blur to match a slow speed or fast speed.
Bynx...all I can say is "Genius"! Thanks also for the tip of using PSE to simulate the blur. While it demostrates no photorgraphic skill on my part, the impact is quite impressive. Take a look at this CSX locomotive as it screams out of the tunnel. At 16oo pixels wide, I think I feel the ground shake..!!!

Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:47 PM   #9

Jehan, I am impressed... man... except for the pink in the upper right corner... you have one really cool picture... I also think you combine two hobbies here, making it a double enjoyment. The close-up is just too real to life. Hope to see more in the future... keep at it with both your hobbies! Thanks for this. Ned
Old Mar 7, 2010, 5:48 PM   #10

Oh, one more thing... thanks for getting under the train to the side, rather than just being level with it... the angle above says it all. Ned