Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:48 AM   #11

You can have a project here. Photograph some boxcars with grafitti on them, then in Photoshop you can transfer to your cars. It wouldnt be hard at all. As much as I hate grafitti the idea of some on a car or two would add that realism without damaging them. In fact, I will see what I can do when Im out and about today.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:54 AM   #12

Bynx, that is a great idea for Jehan... excellent!!!! Dying to see what you will do... When I get my camera, I want to use whatever photo editing programme you use... it will be exciting!!! You have some really neat skills.

Jehan, you out there??? Was just showing my 20 yr. son the pictures of your model railroad set up... very awesome set up you have!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:56 AM   #13

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
You can have a project here. Photograph some boxcars with grafitti on them, then in Photoshop you can transfer to your cars. It wouldnt be hard at all. As much as I hate grafitti the idea of some on a car or two would add that realism without damaging them. In fact, I will see what I can do when Im out and about today.
Bynx: the thought of post processing some graffitti had crossed my mind. I was thinking trying some air brushing on the image itself. Your idea is a bit beyond my PSE capabilities. I'd be very interested to see your results though...thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
Bynx, that is a great idea for Jehan... excellent!!!! Dying to see what you will do... When I get my camera, I want to use whatever photo editing programme you use... it will be exciting!!! You have some really neat skills.

Jehan, you out there??? Was just showing my 20 yr. son the pictures of your model railroad set up... very awesome set up you have!

Ned
Ned, 10-4...Bynx's idea is excellent..this may solve my problems of not wishing to ruin my equipment, but still get the real world effect! Thanks for sharing my handy work with your son--when I get more of the layout landscaped, I'll post more pictures of different sections of it...may take another year or so

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:43 PM   #14

Years ago, when my son was young the two of us set up a scale railroad...not in the same class as your beautiful layout.

I had some ideas...never followed through , though...of taking pictures of local billboard advertising and reducing it to fit bill board frames to scale.

Or just taking pictures of company buildings, etc. around town and giving advertising billboards that local flare and content.

I thought this would enhance the realism of the layout. I'm not technologically skilled as is Bynx...but there's an idea that might work.

Scale railway is a fascinating passion and just checking out your posts makes me think about returning to the hobby.

Many Canadians have railway ties ( pun intended) as family members..current and past have worked in this industry that has had such a significant effect in Canada...and the USA.

In my extended family , there have been individuals who have been rail way machinists, carpenters, Divisional Superintendents, etc.,
both in the Canadian Pacific Railway and the Canadian National Railway.

Keep on posting your RR pix....they are of great interest.

A request. If you have a wide angle of a fisheye lens, could you post a wide angle shot of your layout?

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Keep on posting your RR pix....they are of great interest.

A request. If you have a wide angle of a fisheye lens, could you post a wide angle shot of your layout?
Les
I second that!!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 1:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post

Les
Thanks again for your kind words Les. I can provide a wide angled shot of my layout, but the truth is that I would be rather embarrassed to show the areas that are not lanscaped. About a third of the layout is in "show" condition (I figured I'd work in one section and complete it before moving to the next). There are some basic things such as bridges and tunnel portals that are complete throughout, but as for trees and foliage, and some additional buildings...that's another story. For e.g. I have a huge mountain through which the track runs that needs several hunderd trees. I also have a pond over which the track runs that is "dry"! If you'd like, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send you a few images in private.

I am just as excited about the real RR's and often times will hang out at local train spotting locations to watch the Norfolk Southern trains shake the ground as they go by. Several years ago, I took my family on Amtrak from Chicago to Seattle (2. 5 days). There's something about the size and might of these machines as well as the aroma of diesel fumes that gets me charged.

Best regards, Jehan
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:31 PM   #17

Jelpee I found this on google. Its kind of amazing really. I think a bit pricey, but it goes to show what is available.
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:38 PM   #18

This is great Bynx...it makes up for my lack of artistic talent. I think I can make the cars look dusty and dirty...some thing like this would definitely work. I'll take a look at it.

Jehan
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:29 PM   #19

How do these look?
Attached Images

Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:22 PM   #20

Holy Moses Bynx...that is incredible. The work on the NY Central Box car looks so realistic, especially that you split the decal around the opening of the box car.

I was poking around the web and found a couple of sources for HO sale graffiti decals for about $15 for a 8.5" x 11" sheet. I'll be looking into that as well.

Thanks for this great work. I may have to take a break from photography and concentrate on model rairoading for a bit

Jehan