Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:44 AM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Trackside

I tried some different perspectives this time aiming for a "scale human" view.

Nikon D300s + 50mm f/1.4

#1 Presented 1600 pixels wide

#2This hopper shows some "weathering" that I attempted to make it look grimy and rusted (note the wheel sets).

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:18 AM   #2

So glad you posted that last shot of the Lake Erie boxcar. The distance you were from that car is the distance you should have been from the engine in your first shot. You need as much in focus as you can get. Close your lens down to the smallest size (largest number) you can. Use ISO 200 or ISO 400. Keep moving back after each shot about 6 inches at a time until you get everything in focus. Im betting you will have a winning shot then. In your last shot Id like to see less of the right side and a bit more of the left since the boxcar is your subject. Its only the foreground and background being so much out of focus as well as the plastic man and the load of plastic wood that gives away the fact we are looking at a small model train instead of the real one. But it is an excellent shot. Great angle, you have shot at what would be eye level in scale with someone standing off from the train. Maybe two shots. One with the background more in focus. Then this shot. Close crop the train and drop the new background in and it will look even more real. It would be something to shoot a man in the position of your plastic man and replace them. Now that would be freaky real. #2 shot has the same problem with the background and foreground being so much out of focus which is the problem with miniature photography. Again maybe two shots as per #3. If you just take the shots Id be glad to do the rest. One other thing. When doing to shots think of he shape of the final photo in a magazine cover shape. Allow some breathing space for the magazine name and a few content headlines. You never know, the way you are going here Model Railroader might be interested in some of your shots.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:21 AM   #3

I forgot to mention, there is a program which will put together separate shots taken with different focii so that the final shot has all in focus. Focus Magic is one I believe. So you would take one shot of the train, another if necessary with the next area in focus and finally the background with it in focus. The software would then stack the images similar to Photomatix does in HDR and the final shot would be perfect.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I tried some different perspectives this time aiming for a "scale human" view.

Nikon D300s + 50mm f/1.4

#1 Presented 1600 pixels wide

Hello Jehan,

I just notice this thread... almost missed it! Hey, great photos. Everything is sharp... well, with a good camera like yours, it has to be sharp. The engine... awesome.. but you need just a little more foreground.. also I would rather you frame this baby just coming out of the tunnel... which I think would add to your composition. Just helpful comments as I enjoy these photos

Take care and all the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:57 PM   #5

Bynx: Thanks for your comments and many suggestions--between you and Ned, you're really killing me!

Re. the depth of field, I am shooting at the lens fully stopped down (F/16) and due to the close quarters of my layout and basement, I don't have too much room to move back. I will have to move some stuff around the basement and move the layout about 4 feet and perhaps that will give me the ability to get some distance. Also, I do not have a macro lens--the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 is the best I have for now. I have also shown the original uncropped version of the first image that shows some more space around the engine...I figured a close up had more impact which is why I cropped it close. Let me play around with the set up some more. Thanks for the offer to work on some of them...I may take you up on your offer just to see what the final image looks like. Also, thanks for the comment about the angle of view--I am pleased that it looks realistic. I also need to paint the plastic man and crates..details..details!!!

Ned: Thanks for your comments as well...I am inspired and compelled to keep satisfying yours (and Bynx's) challenges. Let me know if the image below is more to your liking re. a little more foreground. Once again, I do not have a lot of room to maneuver, not is my layout that big that it has a lot of foreground. I'll have to build that into my next layout!!

I'll have to pose this locomotive inside the tunnel and try it. In the mean time, I've posted another image of a locomotive in the tunnel. It is the same image from the other thread, but this one does not have the simulated motion to it Once again, I'm not sure how to increase DoF at the present time...oh I know, I think I might knock out my basement wall so I can set up a short zoom lens instead!

Jehan

Last edited by Wingman; Mar 10, 2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:01 PM   #6

Looks like you spent allot of time and work on making such a nice train set. Very nicely done.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:21 PM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Jehan,

Some images you've made here. These pictures make you happy

//T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Jehan,

Some images you've made here. These pictures make you happy

//T
Thanks T...They say that the difference between a men and a boys is the price of the toys! It is the kid in me, I guess.

Jehan
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:12 PM   #9

Excellent photos. You mentioned putting some 'weathering' on the cars..out here..many of them are slathered in graffiti.

I know it can be reprehensible...but graffiti would give some of your train cars that authenticity your looking for.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 8:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Excellent photos. You mentioned putting some 'weathering' on the cars..out here..many of them are slathered in graffiti.

I know it can be reprehensible...but graffiti would give some of your train cars that authenticity your looking for.
Thanks Les! Yes indeed the grafitti would add quite a bit of realism to it. Unfortuantely, that's an area where I am sorely lacking in talent!! I'd like to do some weathering on my engines as well (dust, grease, grime) easier to do than grafitti since it involves black/rust/dirt colored chalk dust, or airbrushing. But at $100 per locomotive, I don't have the heart to either do it myself or have it done. The box cars are less expensive and therefore one of these days I'll give it a try. Thanks again for the words of encouragement!