Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:01 PM   #1

Default No 787 pics yet?

Hi

I just found the transportation thread am am thrilled, I love planes, trains and automobiles

I am a big Boeing fan, and did a search for 787 but no results. Has anyone been fortunate enough to photograph any of the 787's test flight's?

I saw a video on YouTube of it's maiden flight; what an amazingly beautiful plane, it's curved wings look like a bird's.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:28 PM   #2

Not yet, think only members form the Seattle area my get lucky enough to catch one of them. I do have a A380 one film, first on to fly into FRA couple years back.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:56 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Welcome to this forum...I too am a huge fan of Planes and Trains. Can't get too excited about automobiles...I work in the automobile industry...but that's it

Re. the 787, as Shoturtle has said, if you are lucky enough to live near Everett, Washington, there is a nice viewing area by the Boeing visitors center with a clear view of one end of the runway. In the interim, if you head over to www.airliners.net, there are several posts from folks who have photographed the Dreamliner. From what I have seen, not nearly as impressive (sheer size) compared to the A380.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:58 PM   #4

The A380 is a big boy, flew it once to Dubai from JFK when they still used the 380 on that run. Now it just sits at dubai airport. They can not fill it right now.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 22, 2010 at 5:41 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:22 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
The A380 is a big boy, flew it once to Dubai from JFK when they still used the 380 on that run. Now it just sits at dubai airport. They can not fill it right now.
I wondered if airlines would find it difficult to fill up the A380's??? I understand that Singapore Airlines and Qantas run there A380's regularly. Doesn't Air France fly theres to JFK? I know Qantas runs their A380 to LAX as well. That's the first I heard of Emirates A380 having been grounded
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:33 PM   #6

Yes Emirates Grounded their 380. They claim it is mostly due to tech issues with the plane, that grounded the whole 380 fleet last year. But speaking with people inside. It is a capacity issue. It is a lost if it flies at it's current rate of 50%. Air France does fly to jfk, but I do not think they can fill it either. Right now it is a prestige thing. Lufthansa is planning to fly their to jfk when they put it into service next month. But they are not sure if they can fill it either. The Europeans will most likely route the 380 to China and India. They seem to be able to get enough passengers on those flights, but a big discounts right now to the passengers. I know Singapore can fill their as the asian market has so many people. But the European markets have problem with capacity right now.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:36 PM   #7

What I really want to see in the next couple of years are the new 747-8 that Lufthansa brought. Think that will be the big plane to the Lufthansa, the inked 22 of them.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 4:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Welcome to this forum...I too am a huge fan of Planes and Trains. Can't get too excited about automobiles...I work in the automobile industry...but that's it

Re. the 787, as Shoturtle has said, if you are lucky enough to live near Everett, Washington, there is a nice viewing area by the Boeing visitors center with a clear view of one end of the runway. In the interim, if you head over to www.airliners.net, there are several posts from folks who have photographed the Dreamliner. From what I have seen, not nearly as impressive (sheer size) compared to the A380.

Hi Jelpee

Thank you for the nice warm welcome

I have to admit I am an unashamed Boeing fanboy So I think that it was Boeing that made the right decision to abandon their plans for hypersonic and mega planes, and focus on efficiency.

Once the 787 hits it's strides, I think only the sheer size of the 380 will be left to impress. The 787 is not only truly revolutionary in design, materials and construction, but aesthetically beautiful, inside and out. I saw some of the concept drawings of the 380, and the cockpit was originally placed so the nose had a much more attractive look. IMHO, from certain angles the final 380 design is "challenging" (as per Yes Minister context )

Cheers
Greg

PS And Boeing has the 747-8 coming to complement the 787.
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote