Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
My father was a Ford guy for many years...one of his nicest was a '41 Mercury Convertible....cream in colour....but by the time I had my Camaro he had a new Impala 4 door hard top, with the big block 396 V8, 12 bolt axle and THM400 transmission...quite heavy duty...my parent's towed a trailer back then.

Les

MOPAR all the way! for years i had a '69 Dodge Dart with a 340 and a 727 Torqueflite with a shift kit... ate 350 chevies and 351 fords for lunch, and occasionally feasted on 390's and 396's. the only small-block that ever beat me was a guy with a '73 Demon, he had a 340 Six-Pack... i drove that car for 17 years, finally sold it in 1992 with 307,000 miles on it, and sometimes i STILL miss it...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I know, but think the push rod is date, need a big displacement engine to equal what a smaller displacement dohc engine can do. I've seen some supercharge m6 on the autobahn think they top 700+ hp. Look at the smaller displacement engines from AMG. V8 putting out about the same power as the 6.3L engine.
yeah, the DOHC engines crank out the power, but there's nothing like the rumble of a prime big-block V8...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 6:18 AM   #13
Administrator

The styling is starting to look a bit more retro on some of them now (at least the size/rear design from what I can see of that image). That one reminds me more of the earlier Camaros (67 - 69, before they messed up the body style).

I've had several Camaros, including a '68 SS with a 396 (big block) in it, a '69 ("plain jane" versus Z28, SS or RS model) with a 400 small block in it (bought with a 307, but I swapped the engine), and a '77 RS with a 350 in it. I liked my '68 SS best (although it was terrible in the braking department, as mine had drum brakes all around).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote