Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 5, 2010, 12:59 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

maggo, did you turn off the IS when panning, it works better when panning with IS off with your lens. As the 55-250 does not have 2 IS settings like the ef 70-300mm. If you had the IS on, the lens is fighting your pan. And the results are not as good.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:01 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Markus, wow..you've captured some very colorful aircraft. #3,#6 & #7 are my favorite. Great panning on #3 and nice clarity on #6 & #7. Also love the jet wash from the engines on #6 & #7. There are couple of things I might suggest:
Thank you for your kind words - really appreciate such words from a great plane shooter like you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
1. Some of the pictures look like the've been cropped too much to the extent that resolution has been compromised. When I shoot. I try to minimze my cropping down by no more than 25%. This preserves the resolution. Not sure how far you were from the aircraft...it's best if you can zoom in as close as possible to minimize the need to crop. BTW, I think the close ups are very effective on aircraft shots...I'd just leave about 1-2 cm on each side (right and left).
Yeah, I tried to crop as close as possible... the flyniki jet filled the frame nearly complete when it was taking off, but the other ones I had to crop a lot... thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
2. #4 is a nice close up frame, but it looks like there is heat distortion in the image. I find that it is best to shoot earlier in the day when the temperature is still cool. Towards the middle of the day, light waves tend to get distorted by the heat and shows up especially in close-ups. Fall and Winter provide the best shooting conditions.
Had the same thought... it was afternoon when I was shooting and about 20° Celsius. Next time I'll try to get there in the morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
3. I agree with Shoturtle...if you dial down the exposure a tad you might preserve some detail. It is a judgement issue since many aircraft with their lighter colored fuselages tend to force the meter to stop down the exposures anyway.
This is something I really didn't noticed when shooting... was so focussed on getting sharp and nice looking images
I'll take care of exposure more next time!
__________________
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:02 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
maggo, did you turn off the IS when panning, it works better when panning with IS off with your lens. As the 55-250 does not have 2 IS settings like the ef 70-300mm. If you had the IS on, the lens is fighting your pan. And the results are not as good.
I totally forgot about that... read it before but didn't think about it
A lot of things to make better when I'm at the airport again
__________________
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 1:05 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

We all forget sometime. I goof slightly the other day when shooting my High ISO comparison of the 500D and K-x. Did not check the range and the aperture on one set.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 12:41 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,953
Default

As I have no real 'connection' to, let alone any passion at all with airoplanes (I am more of a boat-man...), I'm not the best judge of any aviation-pictures. They are all sharp and detailed, well exposed and framed, so I congratulate you for constantly looking up new challenges, Markus!


I have, however, noticed some advertisment-boards in shot #4 that had me smiling a bit. The one on the right reads "New Yorker" - in Innsbruck? - and another one "Beate Uhse" (with free parking!) and further up "dm" and "Lidl". So one can go shopping groceries and look at the latest fashion in S&M sex-wear and porn-magazines right next to each other...


I wonder if the mountains in shot # 7 "flynicki" are part of the 'Nordkette' with 'Frau Hitt' and the 'Hafelekar' further to the right? It certainly looks that way to my 'moth-eaten' memory. It's been some 15 years since I saw these mountains last. Or are they the Karwendel-mountains further north?

#7 is also my favorite because of the mountain-backdrop, but I would guess that # 8 is the 'best' shot aviation-wise, since there is no disturbing background at all...?


Nice and interesting pictures, Markus - you are an man of many talents!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 2:13 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 2,093
Default

The first turbo prop is an ATR 72, the second an ATR 42.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 2:33 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
The first turbo prop is an ATR 72, the second an ATR 42.

A. C.
Thank you ac.smith for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
As I have no real 'connection' to, let alone any passion at all with airoplanes (I am more of a boat-man...), I'm not the best judge of any aviation-pictures. They are all sharp and detailed, well exposed and framed, so I congratulate you for constantly looking up new challenges, Markus!


I have, however, noticed some advertisment-boards in shot #4 that had me smiling a bit. The one on the right reads "New Yorker" - in Innsbruck? - and another one "Beate Uhse" (with free parking!) and further up "dm" and "Lidl". So one can go shopping groceries and look at the latest fashion in S&M sex-wear and porn-magazines right next to each other...


I wonder if the mountains in shot # 7 "flynicki" are part of the 'Nordkette' with 'Frau Hitt' and the 'Hafelekar' further to the right? It certainly looks that way to my 'moth-eaten' memory. It's been some 15 years since I saw these mountains last. Or are they the Karwendel-mountains further north?

#7 is also my favorite because of the mountain-backdrop, but I would guess that # 8 is the 'best' shot aviation-wise, since there is no disturbing background at all...?


Nice and interesting pictures, Markus - you are an man of many talents!

Walter... thank you so much for taking the time to comment, really appreciate you ever so kind words!

Talking bout the ad boards in #4... these belong to a shopping mall called "Cyta" in Völs. "New Yorker" is a low-price fashion shop for the teenies But it really looks kinda weird to see these signs "connect" to each other

When it comes to #7, please take a look at this picture here - the plane on the photo is on front of the "Rumer Spitze", so you're totally right with the Nordkette... and your brain is not completely gone

To finish this plane series, I'd like to show you all you the airport in Innsbruck looks like... really small

Shot with the 18-55, five shots converted to HDR with Photomatix from a single RAW and stitched together with the "photomerge" function from PS CS3:



Thank you all for watching and taking the time to comment!!

BTW, I'm impressed with the stitching result from Photoshop, because this was handheld, and my pano making software couldn't do the stitching right
__________________
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 4:06 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,315
Default

Markus,

That last picture (pano) of Innsbruck airport is fantastic...the mountains make such a spectacular backdrop. Are you positioned at a view area? And is this the same spot that you photographed the aircraft that you shared with us earlier?

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 1:50 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,953
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
... and your brain is not completely gone
Thank you for the consolation, Markus - I take one year at the time and hope for the best.....





BTW, thank you for this magnificent panorama of the IBK airport. It is fantastic! And a real joy for me to see all these mountains again - thank you!



.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 2:46 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
Markus,

That last picture (pano) of Innsbruck airport is fantastic...the mountains make such a spectacular backdrop. Are you positioned at a view area? And is this the same spot that you photographed the aircraft that you shared with us earlier?

Jehan
Thank you Jehan - yes, this is from the viewing area (visitor's terrace) of the airport... I took all the images I've posted there. There is a place somewhere at the left side of the pano where all the planespotters are - gotta try that out some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
BTW, thank you for this magnificent panorama of the IBK airport. It is fantastic! And a real joy for me to see all these mountains again - thank you!
.
Nice to read your kind words - and another trip "down the memory lane" brought to you by maggo85
__________________
Markus Rimml Photography | Facebook | Twitter

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:18 AM.