Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Aug 7, 2010, 4:44 PM   #1

Default Hurricane in Everett

Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Museum in Everett put on another of its "free fly days" today, with a demonstration of its Hawker Hurricane Mk XIIa. the weather was lousy for photos - overcast with a bit of drizzle - but then, i suppose that's appropriate for Britain, which has more than its share of gray skies, even in summer... these were shot with a 40D and 100-400 lens at varying focal lengths and shutter speeds. i shot one stop overexposed to compensate for the relatively bright sky and help bring out the colors of the planes, then gave each a light touch with ReDynaMix to brighten the colors a bit and provide better balance...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Last edited by squirl033; Aug 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:01 AM   #2

Thanks for sharing. Not often one gets to see a Hurricane in flight any more.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:50 PM   #3

Nice to see one of the unsung heros of the Battle of Britain. From what I have read, the Ugly Duckling Hurricanes did most of the work, while the more glamorous Spits (which were in shorter supply) got most of the credit.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Nice to see one of the unsung heros of the Battle of Britain. From what I have read, the Ugly Duckling Hurricanes did most of the work, while the more glamorous Spits (which were in shorter supply) got most of the credit.
yeah, the Spitfires were still pretty scarce at the time, and the much more numerous Hurricanes really did most of the heavy lifting, though in fairness, they scored most of their kills against bombers like the He111 and the Bf110. mind you, there were far more bombers to shoot at than anything else... still, the "Hurries" accounted for a good share of fighter kills too, even though the Bf109's pretty much outclassed them. but for some reason, as you mentioned, the Spits got the credit... probably because they continued as front-line fighters for the British from 1940 through the end of the war, while the Hurricanes were soon relegated to ground attack roles and service in more remote theaters...

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
It seems to me the story that Spits got all the credit while the Hurcs did the work seems to me as nearly as much of myth as the Spits won the BoB myth. Britain certainly needed both and as their tactics evolved the Spits tended to be vectored to the incoming fighters while the Hurricanes were vectored toward the incoming bombers. The best stats I can come up with are that Britain had 32 squadron of Hurricanes vs. 19 squadrons of Spitfires and that the Hurricanes accounted for 55% of enemy losses to 42% for the Spitfire. What I can't get a handle on is number of losses for each aircraft as most web available stats lump the lossses of both together.

I htink there are currently more airworthy Spitfires than Hurricanes so it's certainly nice to have a recent capture of a Hurricane in flight.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Aug 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
It seems to me the story that Spits got all the credit while the Hurcs did the work seems to me as nearly as much of myth as the Spits won the BoB myth.
A. C.
Statistical facts and public perceptions - especially years after the fact - are quite different things (as is the difference between getting credit for something and actually deserving it)!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:27 PM   #7

"Britain certainly needed both and as their tactics evolved the Spits tended to be vectored to the incoming fighters while the Hurricanes were vectored toward the incoming bombers."

that was because the Spits were faster and could fly higher, and were thus better able to cope with the Bf109s, while the more heavily armed Hurricanes were better suited for attacking the slower, less maneuverable bombers. there's no question the Spits accounted for more fighter kills than the Hurricanes did, and the Hurries knocked down more bombers. which one "won" the Battle of Britain? neither... it was a shared victory. but the fast, nimble, sleek Spitfire captured the imagination of the people in a way the humble Hurricane never did, and as the war progressed, and the Hurricanes were sent off to other, less "glamorous" duties while the Spits remained the front-line fighter in Britain, the perception that the Spitfire was "the one" was no doubt reinforced.

~ Three Dog Night

Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
"
that was because the Spits were faster and could fly higher, and were thus better able to cope with the Bf109s, while the more heavily armed Hurricanes were better suited for attacking the slower, less maneuverable bombers. there's no question the Spits accounted for more fighter kills than the Hurricanes did, and the Hurries knocked down more bombers. which one "won" the Battle of Britain? neither... it was a shared victory. but the fast, nimble, sleek Spitfire captured the imagination of the people in a way the humble Hurricane never did, and as the war progressed, and the Hurricanes were sent off to other, less "glamorous" duties while the Spits remained the front-line fighter in Britain, the perception that the Spitfire was "the one" was no doubt reinforced.
That the Spitfire was faster and climbed better is undeniable however they both carried exactly the same armament at the time, eight .303 browning machine guns with 12-15 seconds worth of ammo. They were both armed in accordance with an Air Ministry study that suggested it required 266 .303 rounds to down a bomber and a 2 sec. burst with the eight brownings that could meet that requirement.

I think our perception of the public and historic perception is based on a 1942 British film on the life of Mitchell and the development of the Spitfire. It was easy to paint Mitchell in a heroic light for movie purposes as he was dead while the chief designer at Hawker was still alive and hard at work. In fairness I should note that there were civilian fund raising efforts in Britian to " buy a Spitfire" which met with more success than a similar effort for the Hurricane.

A. C.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:19 PM   #9

you're right, about the armament, A.C... for some reason i thought the earlier Spits only carried 6 .303's... interesting tidbit about the air ministry study... 266 rounds to down a bomber would be about 33 rounds per gun (assuming no jams), or about 10% of each gun's total magazine capacity in those planes... and that wouldn't account for misses. i guess that's why they started putting 20mm cannon in these fighters later in the war... the rifle-caliber machinge guns just didn't have the punch needed, and one had to get pretty close to reliably cause sufficient damage to down an enemy without seriously depleting your ammo supply...

i've never seen any movies about Mitchell, but for whatever reason, the Spitfire has for years been popularly thought of as the fighter than won the Battle of Britain. whether that perception is accurate is certainly debatable, but at the end of the day, 70 years after the fact it's a moot point - i'm just happy to be able to see both of these magnificent flying machines in action again...

~ Three Dog Night

Last edited by squirl033; Aug 11, 2010 at 3:25 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 3:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
i'm just happy to be able to see both of these magnificent flying machines in action again...
Ditto