Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Sep 20, 2010, 8:32 AM   #1

Default Erie Train at Port Jervis, NY

My wife and I took pictures at the old Erie Station in Port Jervis, NY.

#1) Erie Train.

#2) The train is actually sitting on a "turntable". In the old days when train engines only moved forward and not backward-and-forward as modern trains do, they had to be rotated on a turntable at the end of the line to change direction.

#3) Here you can see the turntable in its entirety. This used to be a round, covered building with "spokes" emanating from the center. Each spoke is actually a shelter for train engines where repairs and maintenance are made.

#4) There are several train engines and cars, this engine sits by itself on a separate track.

#5) Train cars.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:15 AM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Nice compositions of another of my avorite subject (trains). Images look a bit dark...but could be my monitor.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 9:32 AM   #3

Thanks, Jehan. I don't think it's your monitor -- I think it's my monitor. They looked fine when I was processing last night, but when I looked at them on my office PC, they do look a bit dark.

First two shots are by my wife's Kodak Z980 and the last three are by my Sony A350.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4

Love the photos of the old trains.

My father worked as an engineman for the C.N.R., starting out as a fireman on the old steam locomotives. He used to tell stories about the railway roundhouse at the Toronto yards. Apparently more than one engine failed to stop at the end of the "spoke" and subsequently many of the walls showed patches of newer brick. Anyone who did hit a wall was given demerit points on their record.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 3:05 PM   #5

Thanks, bluenose.

I notice these huge "bumpers" (don't know what they're called) at the end of the tracks at train stations. I suspected that's what they're for -- to prevent the train operator from accidentally ramming the train into the terminal. I guess it's probably there less because it's hard for an engineer to estimate when to put on the breaks but more because if a train does indeed fail to stop, the locomotive could take the whole building down with it when it crashes into the terminal. Someone correct me if wrong.

#6) Here you can see the gear or mechanism for turning the track isn't rusty so I'm guessing the turntable is still operational.

#7) The "spokes" can be seen from Elks-Brox Memorial Park from which this picture was taken.