Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Apr 24, 2011, 4:28 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default For Torgny: Norfolk Southern RR

It was a overcast and cloudy day--not at all suitable for aviation photography. Instead, I grabbed the gear and headed to the RR tracks. I thought the diffused lighting added some depth to the color.

Nikon D300s + Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8.

Jehan

A tripple consist of GE C40-8W's

Lots of graffiti laden freight cars

A close up of the wheel axle assembly.

Saw this GE C40-9 locomotive heading in the opposite direction

And about a hundred cars later. . .
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:27 PM   #2

Jelpee,

All good pictures, but I like the last one, best. I think the reason for this, is the view of the last part of the train...disappearing...into what appears to be a forested area. I don't know, but I can well imagine that the train may travel for some distance...through a forested area.

To me this evokes a bit of mystery about the journey...where is the train heading...will anything happen along the way.

As they say, a trip is not about the arrival...but the journey.

This picture communicates this idea very well.

Sorry if I got a bit 'artsy' about this...but excellent picture and it made me wonder about where it was going and what adventures may take place along the way.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:59 AM   #3

Thanks Les! Great interpretation of that last image...it does make me wonder what's around the bend as well!

Jehan
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:49 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Jehan,

Glad it wasn't bright sunlight that day Yes it adds to the natural saturation. All weather is good weather, I think, especially after rain when the sun is just showing it's face

Talk about saturation!

Great pictures. I share Les's and your own fascination on "what's around the bend"

A book title came to my mind. "You can't be neutral on a moving train" by historian Howard Zinn

Thank you for posting these pictures, Jehan

Torgny

I see the Black Beauty now and then
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Apr 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:12 PM   #5

Hi Torgny,

Thanks for your comments.

Nice capture of the black beauty...am always amazed at the drastic difference in designs between the European and North American locomotive structure and styles (i.e. electric vs. diesel-electric, single locomotive vs. multiple locomotives, etc).

I need to look for some additional vantage points to do more railroad photography. But on the other hand, with the weather getting warmer, it's time to do more aviation photography...