Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:26 PM   #11

There is a plaque attached to the wood beam along the hood. Just go back and read it to see if there is a clue.
I do think the front looks a lot like the Studebaker attempt at a sports car back in the early '50s. Hawk, I believe it was called. One of my uncles had one. Two seater with pretty radical styling for the day. This could possibly be a major workover of one of those.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:40 PM   #12

Default Updates Shots

Hi All,
I also saw this car in the same car junkyard outside of Bozeman Montana, and took a few extra shots. It seems to be a Rolls Royce (or perhaps just a few Rolls parts), but a sports coupe of some kind, with lots of wood panels on it, seemingly to streamline it, which makes me think it could be a racer of some kind, but the age escapes me - perhaps 40's/50's? It has a straight eight engine with what appear to be twin webbers, two seater only, no canopy or soft-top that I can see, a king of luggage trunk behind the back seats, then what appear to be a fuel tank, then a large empty area where I feel several spare types might have been stowed, between the two pontoon-like rear wheel body panels.
I have attached all the pics I took.

I cannot seem to identify it on the internet - perhaps it was a one off custom build. The exterior indicator areas show the RR emblem, as do the instrument cluster. It must of had quite a life, having done over 85 thousand miles. There is something on the middle of the steering wheel, which appeared to be a crest of some kind, but it was unreadable, and I didn't take a shot of it.
Attached Images

davidel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:18 AM   #13

Cool ride if it got finished. I can see a boat tail (due to the large fenders in the rear) on it. If I had been there I am pretty sure I would have tried to pick up the one next to the mystery (The ford in the orginal photo). Now that is my kind of project! Steven

Last edited by waoldrifleman; Oct 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:00 PM   #14

It's obviously a bitsacar made up of many different items. I'm guessing that the base body and chassis was late 40's to early 50's G.M. (Pontiac, Buick and Olds). One thing for sure, it is an ugly piece of crap that would not have brought much praise if it was ever finished. As the last photo indicates, wood was a favorite component in it's construction. Could have won first place in an "ugly car" competition. It makes "Frankenford look like anew Caddy.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom

Last edited by Streets; Oct 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 7:15 PM   #15

It may very well be the mysterious and legendary Rolls Canardly . It rolls down the hills just fine but canardly make it up the other side.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:06 PM   #16

Thanks, davidel07, for the additional views of the vehicle. And, brian, you cracked me up with that Canardly comment.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:13 PM   #17

Hello, all.

This is a late 1942 Buick Roadmaster modified to resemble a Rolls Royce; it was built as a prop for Roy Rogers to use on his TV program that ran from 1951 to 1957. One of his co-stars, Pat Brady, drove a Jeep called "Nellybelle".

The photos in this thread are the clearest I've come across. Alas, I have yet to find a picture of the car as it looked in the 1950's. If I find one, I'll post a copy here.
KarnUtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarnUtz View Post
Hello, all.

This is a late 1942 Buick Roadmaster modified to resemble a Rolls Royce; it was built as a prop for Roy Rogers to use on his TV program that ran from 1951 to 1957. One of his co-stars, Pat Brady, drove a Jeep called "Nellybelle".

The photos in this thread are the clearest I've come across. Alas, I have yet to find a picture of the car as it looked in the 1950's. If I find one, I'll post a copy here.
Isn't that something ! I recall the Roy Rogers show....used to watch it during Horse Opera when I was a kid in the 50's.

I do recall Nelly Belle the Jeep.

Some posters who saw this car indicated that it looked like the engine was a inline 8 cylinder...or as we used to say...straight eight.

That was the engine that a Buick Roadmaster would of had in the 40's. Think (if memory serves me) a 320 cube, OHV straight eight. You could get dual carbs from the Buick factory then...this was called compound carburation or something.

RR back then used inline sixes, I think.

So a one off mix and match used for Roy Rogers shows. Thanks for solving the mystery.

Last edited by lesmore49; Nov 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:32 PM   #19

Here is a site which explains it.....
http://www.desertclassics.com/Buick42RR.html
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:52 PM   #20

Well, folks, nobody can say we're not a persistent bunch.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote