Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:47 PM   #1

Default Mystery Car - can you name it?

Spotted in a junkyard near Bozeman Montana. Don't recognize it from what's left. Do you? Probably from the late 1940s and a US make.
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:12 PM   #2

I wonder if it's an assemblage of parts...the front fenders and front end look like they're from a early 50's Pontiac.

Kind of an unfinished custom.

I see the top hood would be relatively easy to make from two sheet metal sheets...with a centre hinge of sorts....then many pieces of the body are riveted in. The rear fenders are quite odd...sheet metal is added to increase the width of the rear fenders quite significantly...makes me wonder if those are dual rear wheels lurking under there.

The rear fenders look slightly Jaguar large sedan, from the early 50's...the body style itself looks vaguely like an MGA ....but with bigger dimensions.

The rear wheel looks truckish from the wide track and the rear tire from it's side profile looks like a truck tire. The front wheel looks '50's-60's domestic steel wheel.

I can't tell from the picture if the steering wheel is in the centre...looks like it is.

I think it may have been someone's attempt to make either a sports car or a sports racing car with parts from here and there and extra sheet metal welded or riveted in.

Not any manufactured make...but a custom made car.

I can barely see something lurking under the homemade or 20's-30's era hood. Looks like maybe a couple of carbs....U.S. V8 or big inline six or eight ?

Also a lot of wooden pieces incorporated into this car..also makes me think it is a home built special.

Looks big...not overwhelmed size wise at all by that 30's 4 door sedan or the big Cadillac behind it...big is usually the province of American cars...not some dainty Euro sports job from the 50's, early '60's.

The hood looks like it was never completed...the radiator is too large...too high for the body style...those wooden 1" X 4"s jammed in the side of the hood are nothing that would come from any factory.

The whole car looks unfinished...looks like someone had an idea, never completed...or did complete and later someone else acquired it and made these mods.

Anyways those are my observations.

I think there's an interesting history to this car. I'd be really interested in knowing it's background.

Last edited by lesmore49; Jun 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:43 PM   #3

I would agree with you lesmore. Looks like a project that got too challenging and never got finished. Or, the guy got married and that was that. Too many "Honey-do's" :-)

Thanks for the detailed analysis.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:36 AM   #4

No clue as to what it is, but what a cool looking car it would have been. That looks to be a very interesting junk yard.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:23 PM   #5

The front end looks like a Studebaker. A bit before my time, I'm afraid, but likely a Cadillac V8, which was very popular with hot rodders of the era. There were a number of conversions of this type at the time. I keep thinking Cad-Allard, which was a hot number in those days, but not at all certain.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:42 PM   #6

I have a car book of American car makes and have looked through it extensively. There is a section on "Minor Makes" that shows one car that shows some similarities. It was called the "Skorpion", made in Pasadena from 1952 to 1954 by the Wilro Company. It was fiberglass with a Crosley Hot Shot chassis and a Ford flathead V8. Still, I'm not really sure.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:36 AM   #7

Now there's one I'd love to see finished. That pile of junk just reeks of potential.
spacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 12:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
I have a car book of American car makes and have looked through it extensively. There is a section on "Minor Makes" that shows one car that shows some similarities. It was called the "Skorpion", made in Pasadena from 1952 to 1954 by the Wilro Company. It was fiberglass with a Crosley Hot Shot chassis and a Ford flathead V8. Still, I'm not really sure.
I looked at the Skorpion and as you say it was a Fiberglas body on a Crosley chassis. Crosley's were small ..the car in question appears to be quite big...and this body is of metal (rivet's sheet metal pieces, wooden spacers, etc.) so I'm not sure it is a Skorpion.

Walter you bring up an excellent point when you mentioned how the Skorpion was a small car made in Pasadena, California in the early 50's.

That got me to thinking about the car industry in your state back in the day.

There were, as you know, a multitude of one off customs, or very small runs of a whole host of different types of cars in California from the '40's through to the '60's.

California was a hot bed for this type of activity and renowned for individuals who were innovative designers and craftsmen who developed a whole host of exciting vehicles.

I know the vehicle in question is/was in Montana...but I wonder if it had it's origins in California ?

Who knows....but this has been a very interesting thread.

I live in Western Canada ...not all that far from Montana...boy what a salvage yard...looks like there are plenty of treasures in there.

Thanks for starting this thread..very enjoyable for an old car buff, like myself.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2011, 3:48 PM   #9

Les
The photo of the Skorpion in my book, "Encyclopedia of American Cars" shows a much different car from the Wilro Company than the one's I seen elsewhere on Wikipedia, etc. It is longer and has the sloping fenders similar to the one in the junkyard. The company built the car on a Crosley chassis, but had different bodies.

Ahhh, I love a good mystery.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:39 PM   #10

First off, there's some really nice cars in that junkyard.

That car reminds me of a Flinstones episode (yeah, the cartoon) where one of those Hollywood director types is driving one of those cars down the street with his elbow hanging off the door. A convertible with a really long front end and short trunk.

Sorry no help with the ID.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote