Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:53 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Ferries of Long Island (NY)

A change for me (from my postings of aircraft). These were taken on a recent trip to the east end of Long Island, New York.

Nikon D90 + Tamron 18-270 VC and Nikkor 12-24 f4.

Jehan

Ferry docked at Orient Point, New York taking on vehicles prior to departing for New London, Connecticut. This ferry carries about 50 vehicles and makes the trip in about 90 minutes.

An in-bound ferry from New London passing the outbound ferry to New London.

A smaller ferry that provides service between Greenport, NY and Shelter Island, NY. It is about a 12 minute ride.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:22 PM   #2

Nice captures jelpee, good detail in all of them but 2nd is the shot for me
Old Jul 4, 2011, 11:03 AM   #3

Thanks Square One! Yes...#2 is my favorite as well...seems like it has a story to tell all of its own!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:45 AM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Brilliant, Jehan. Yes, if a single picture can tell a story ... But I Like them all

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:42 AM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Coming back to these pictures. It is said "The devil is in the details"; you can turn that around, "The God is in the details".

In every one of these pictures there are details that work in the background. Great. Why should everything be immediately accessible

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:53 PM   #6

Nice capture, you took shots of my motorcycling breaks when I ride out to montuck point form the south shore, then cut across shuttle island by the 2 ferries and head by via 25a. And when I visit Newport or Boston, I ride out to orient point and ferry across to new london. The Ferries are a nice restbit.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:03 PM   #7

Thanks ST. That's a lot of travelliing you decribe! My in-laws lived on Shelter Island and we used to ride the ferries all the time to get on and off the island. We've talked about going to New London, but it is an expensive ride for the car and passengers ($125 or something close).
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:26 PM   #8

Yeah the ferry ride to new london is pricey, but for an islander, the time it saves is actually worth it vs driving to the south throggs neck then going north again. It saves almost 200 miles if you live out in eastern suffork.

Yeah, I get around allot regionally, as well as nationally and internationally. Have good food there will travel.