Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Oct 16, 2011, 3:19 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Default Pusher - The Ship is waiting

Outer harbours
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2011, 6:48 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Gorgeous lighting T! This looks like what we (in the US) would call a "Switcher"...i.e a locomotive used to assemble whole trains of cars, or move cars around a railway (switching) yard.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:50 AM   #3

Wow for the lighting and for the composition which takes advantage of it.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:20 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Gorgeous lighting T! This looks like what we (in the US) would call a "Switcher"...i.e a locomotive used to assemble whole trains of cars, or move cars around a railway (switching) yard.

Jehan

Jehan,

Thanks. Yes, good light. Trying to pick up some English. You really can't trust the dictionaries, neither the analogue, nor the digital

pushˇer

[poosh-er] Show IPA

noun

1. a person or thing that pushes.

2. Slang, a peddler of illegal drugs.

3. Aeronautics, an airplane that is driven by pusher propellers.

4. Nautical, one of the masts abaft the mizzen on a sailing vessel having more than three masts, either the sixth or seventh from forward. Compare driver ( def. 10b ) , spanker ( def. 1b ).

5. Railroads, a helper attached to the rear of a train, usually to provide extra power for climbing a steep grade

So - twister seems logical - are there also "pushers"?

Torgny

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.

Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDontMeanAThing View Post
Wow for the lighting and for the composition which takes advantage of it.

Thank you for viewing and the comments

Torgny

Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:12 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Jehan,

Thanks. Yes, good light. Trying to pick up some English. You really can't trust the dictionaries, neither the analogue, nor the digital

pushˇer

[poosh-er] Show IPA

5. Railroads, a helper attached to the rear of a train, usually to provide extra power for climbing a steep grade

So - twister seems logical - are there also "pushers"?

Torgny
Ah ha...learned something new...there are such things as pushers in the US Railroads where the locomotive(s) is/are coupled to the rear of the train to provide thrust from the rear on mouuntainous routes. Don't see much of them these days since generally the high torque and horsepower of modern locomotives seem to do the job by themselves. There used to be units called "slugs" which were locomotives without the operator cab. They were inserted in between conventional locomotives with cabs purely to provde additional power. i.e. in a series of 3 locomotives, you'd find a slug as the number 2 unit. Then there were the "B" units. "A" units had the cab, "B" units were the powerset. So a set would be described as a A-B-A set or an A-B-B-A set.

In any event, this would not be a switcher then. I've heard the word "shunter" used as well to describe what a yard switcher would do.

Wow...this is getting too deep and intense...let's enjoy the picutre

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:58 PM   #7

Nice shot- and they're Shunters in the UK....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 4:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Nice shot- and they're Shunters in the UK....
OK, shunters - sounds nice. "Pusher" is just an invention of mine - don't even know the name in Swedish

//T

Old Oct 25, 2011, 9:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Ah ha...learned something new...there are such things as pushers in the US Railroads where the locomotive(s) is/are coupled to the rear of the train to provide thrust from the rear on mouuntainous routes. Don't see much of them these days since generally the high torque and horsepower of modern locomotives seem to do the job by themselves. There used to be units called "slugs" which were locomotives without the operator cab. They were inserted in between conventional locomotives with cabs purely to provde additional power. i.e. in a series of 3 locomotives, you'd find a slug as the number 2 unit. Then there were the "B" units. "A" units had the cab, "B" units were the powerset. So a set would be described as a A-B-A set or an A-B-B-A set.

In any event, this would not be a switcher then. I've heard the word "shunter" used as well to describe what a yard switcher would do.

Wow...this is getting too deep and intense...let's enjoy the picutre

Jehan
Up here, we still use locomotives in the back as 'pushers' and also in the centre...also some unmanned locomotives coupled in between manned locomotives...all to provide additional power. I see them on the Canadian prairies where trains lines can be very long...100 - up to what appears to be around 150 train cars or so.

I'm not a railroad expert...but some days it seems that way as I sit in my car at railroad crossings...observing, counting and waiting for extremely long trains as they cross the road.

Les
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2011, 9:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesmore49 View Post
Up here, we still use locomotives in the back as 'pushers' and also in the centre...also some unmanned locomotives coupled in between manned locomotives...all to provide additional power. I see them on the Canadian prairies where trains lines can be very long...100 - up to what appears to be around 150 train cars or so.

I'm not a railroad expert...but some days it seems that way as I sit in my car at railroad crossings...observing, counting and waiting for extremely long trains as they cross the road.

Les

Les,

"Pusher" was a wild guess from my side, seems I was a bit lucky. I often pass a vast railyard on my way out to the archipelago. There are quite a few crossings. When I pass the area I have one camera with a 70-200 lens at the passenger seat and another camera with a 17-40 lens in the back seat, easily accessible

When the trains come and there is a queu of waiting automobiles, I jump out quickly from the car, with the cameras; "spraying" the sets and hope for the best. Always fun to see if any exposure came out alright

Trains seem to bring out the boy in some of us; locomotive driver being the ultimate boy's dream of a future occupation

Torgny

I did a cropping and blow-up of the chassi(?) - seems very symmetrical. One can perhaps draw conclusions on the possible ways to use it
Attached Images

Last edited by Torgny; Oct 28, 2011 at 10:04 AM.