Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Default Offshore Powerboat Racing

Every year in late April the offshore powerboats come to Biloxi to race in the Sound. Almost every boat has it's own chase chopper. It's a wonder the boats don't crash into one another and an even greater wonder that the choppers avoid each other. It's loud, fast, hectic and apparently well orchestrated.




BackBayBiloxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Australia, New South Wales central coast
Posts: 2,885
Default

G'day BBB

I'm most intreagued - we don't to my knowledge have this 'ocean racing' down here in Aussie land [along rivers & lakes, yes, but not ocean]

Q- what's the purpose of the choppers? film crew or rescue if something goes wrong??

Regards, Phil
__________________
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:49 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day BBB

I'm most intreagued - we don't to my knowledge have this 'ocean racing' down here in Aussie land [along rivers & lakes, yes, but not ocean]

Q- what's the purpose of the choppers? film crew or rescue if something goes wrong??

Regards, Phil

Ozzie,

These boats are incredibly powerful. There are several classes with the fastest of the fast sporting multiple turbine engines. The helicopters film the boats. The fastest boats run about 150 mph in the straight parts of the course. Here's a little more info... http://www.smokinthesound.com/Info.html
BackBayBiloxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Australia, New South Wales central coast
Posts: 2,885
Default

G'day bbb

... g-a-w-d ... a-l-m-i-g-h-t-y > 150mph = 240km/h
Geez do they ever have a prang? w-o-w

Regards, Phil
__________________
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:32 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day bbb

... g-a-w-d ... a-l-m-i-g-h-t-y > 150mph = 240km/h
Geez do they ever have a prang? w-o-w

Regards, Phil
Prang??? I had to break out my English to Aussie dictionary. Yes indeedy there will on occasion be a prang. It usually involves a boat going airborne end over end. I enjoy watching the helicopters as much as the boats. Here's a youtube clip of the race here a few years back. The caption says the Budweiser Select boat hit 212 MPH!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw5NdlvgMfo
BackBayBiloxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Australia, New South Wales central coast
Posts: 2,885
Default

Good on yer bbb

yer finding that us mob outside the good ole usa speek a different language than you mob ...

a bit off-topic ...
more seriously - I am amazed at how many non-american authored books have their international english reworded into american so that american readers don't need to / ever realise that 'american' is very different from international english

eg- our cars do not have trunks, hoods, fenders, glove compartments and they do not run on gas ... unless it's LPG, and we do not walk down sidewalks > and yet aussie authors writing books about aussie-land have these terms written into their novels when the book is published in the usa.

Very sad
Regards, Phil
__________________
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:45 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
Good on yer bbb

yer finding that us mob outside the good ole usa speek a different language than you mob ...

a bit off-topic ...
more seriously - I am amazed at how many non-american authored books have their international english reworded into american so that american readers don't need to / ever realise that 'american' is very different from international english

eg- our cars do not have trunks, hoods, fenders, glove compartments and they do not run on gas ... unless it's LPG, and we do not walk down sidewalks > and yet aussie authors writing books about aussie-land have these terms written into their novels when the book is published in the usa.

Very sad
Regards, Phil
Yeah I know what you mean. We in the Deep South have our own unique version of the English language!
BackBayBiloxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Streets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Euless, Tx.
Posts: 933
Default

Phil, Texans and Aussies have one thing in common. Seems like something is always trying to bite or sting us.
__________________
Sony A57 with 18-55 kit lens, Sony A200 and Sony H70
50mm f3.5 Minolta Maxxum macro
24mm f2.8 Minolta Maxxum
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 5:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Australia, New South Wales central coast
Posts: 2,885
Default

Yeah mate

Pollies & conmen - both the same > always trying to put the bite or sting on us....

Regards, phil
__________________
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 6:18 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
Default

One of my favorite words----prang----I always thought pronouncing it sounded like the event itself.

Texsport
Texsport is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.