Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Transportation

Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:10 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Whales at JFK

Had a chance to do some plane spotting last week at JFK in NY and was fortunate to catch these Airbus A380 Supers (AKA "Whales").

These were taken from the Bayswater State Park overlooking Rwy 13R. Unfortunately, the skies became overcast throughout the afternoon and rendered not-so-desireable lighting conditions.

Jehan

Korean Airways Flt 82 climbing out of Rwy 13R to Seoul

Lufthansa Flt 401 departure to Frankfurt

Air France Flt 006 from Paris making an approach to Rwy 22L battling some fairly strong cross winds.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2012, 8:36 PM   #2

Excellent captures of what has to be the ugliest commercial plane ever built... ;-)
NotDadsW41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDadsW41 View Post
...what has to be the ugliest commercial plane ever built... ;-)
Amen to that comment regarding the appearance of the A380! That it's referred to as a whale is rather fitting.

Thanks for your comments!

Jehan
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:29 PM   #4

Nice capture of the blue and white whales. LH401 is a flight I take allot.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:33 PM   #5

PS at baywater, you must have been using the sigma. That is a very long distance spotting area.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
PS at baywater, you must have been using the sigma. That is a very long distance spotting area.
Hey there ST,

Bayswater is a nice spot. Met some nice folk fishing while I was there...no issues with the PD at all. Re lenses, I actually used my 70-200 f2.8 with the 1.7 TC (which on my D300s = 510mm). The focal length was plenty for the departures on 13R which was handling all the Heavies and Supers. I imagine if aircraft were landing on 4L or 31L, this spot would be best.

I tried the parking lot by the Best Buy/Burlington Coat Factory/Panerra, but aircraft were arriving on 13R & L. On departures, they were too high in the sky. Additioinally, in the afternoon, everything was back-lit. There seem to be some great spots in office building parking lots off Rockaway Blvd for arrivals on 22L. I guess one would have to be careful with security.

We'll have to try to get together the next time I'm back on Long Island (next Summer for sure)

Jehan
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:43 PM   #7

park at lowes parking lot, and walk the 3/4 miles to the glide path on rockaway blvd. get some great close up with a short lens. Stay on the logistic building side, and on that walk path. No on will bother you. The JFK side is a different issue, PAPD will question you. NYPD do not bother anyone photographing at the parks.

I am in germany full time next year.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jun 24, 2012 at 7:46 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:07 PM   #8

If you'r ever in Washington DC you can get some great plane shot at Graverly Park just off the end of Reagan National (its off the GW Parkway). Just park in the lot there and walk over to the grass area closest to the boat docks. Great place to also get pictures of dinner ships, jet skiers and ducks (both animals and the transport boat/vehicle type). For those who have been their they will tell you its harder to get any closer than you will be in this park. They come over you on final at maybe less than 100 feet up. and best of all the PD won't bother you at and its all and its a very friendly area. However with the size of the airport you won;t get any whales, 747 or 777s landing there.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:12 PM   #9

Hi Dave,

I had intended to stop over in the DC area on my way to NY, but had to change plans. Gravely Park was on the list along with the Airplane Park at BWI as well as the parking area at the Smithsonian Annex near Dulles. Definitely is on the list for the 2013 trip.

Jehan
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
Hi Dave,

I had intended to stop over in the DC area on my way to NY, but had to change plans. Gravely Park was on the list along with the Airplane Park at BWI as well as the parking area at the Smithsonian Annex near Dulles. Definitely is on the list for the 2013 trip.

Jehan
Hopes this helps for the next trip.....
The parking annex near Dulles will not get you the greatest shots to be honest. If you do go into the Smithsonian Annex and go up into its control tower exhibit when you get up to the top go to the control tower windows -- you will get better angle of shots but the one time I was there it was very crowed up there and not able to get good shots too many people trying to get a look and in my camera lens....... Now if the space shuttle were to fly over again then thats a different story but from where you'd park they (the planes) are already too low at that point........ You'd be more happy to spend the time at the other two locations. I usually can get 50 to 75 really good shot at National over a 2 hour period......... I especially like the days when the places are landing on the park end of the runway and taking off towards Alexandria/Wilson Bridge. Also with a good 250mm or so zoom, you can zoom right onto the runway and taxiway and get good shots as the plans pull out to get on the runway.........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote