Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:03 AM   #1

Here is a serial pictures of some of Rodin's works I shot at Sakıp Sabancı Museum in Istanbul. Visiting the exhibition which also presents his correspondance and related documents about him, I must say, as well as his art, I am also impressed both by his admiration and collection of classical works. His life which witnessed other giants of art such as Monet and Cezanne whom I deeply appreciate, also offers great drama concerning his beloved Camille Claudel, a notable talent at sculpture and a very beautiful lady I can safely say, but sadly, whose life ended in an insane asylum

The Thinker..
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:04 AM   #2

Adam..
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:05 AM   #3

The Kiss..
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:09 AM   #4

Hand of the Devil..
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:12 AM   #5

Torso..
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:19 AM   #6

Victor Hugo..

Well except this one, exhibited in the garden, I must say, the dim light condition in the museum was a big challenge for my compact Canon S70, which urged me to choose exposure times such as 1/8 or 1/10 at ISO 200, obviously too long for handheld shots:!:
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:53 PM   #7

Wow, what I wouldn't have given to see that! The chances of an exhibit like that coming here are, well, slim to none. Your pics look like they were taken without a flash, so I'm guessing that the museum forbade that. I'm kind of surprised they let you take pictures at all inside the museum, or do you have a bit of rebel in you? Keep 'em coming, my friend.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 1:15 AM   #8

Toshi, thanks for your kind interest. You are always allowed to use a camera inside museums here, unless the works or findings have not been classified and/or published(I confess the rebel in me would awake in such an occasion, ah I can remember the times))
However, the use of flash or tripod is almost out of question. So, as you observed correctly, I did not use any flash but had to suffice with shutter speed of 1/8-1/10 at ISO 200(400 being the limit of my compact camera, which degrades the image quality). As a matter of fact I don't mind they forbidding the use of flash since I am an available light lover but it is the restriction of tripod which I hate the most! These are the times I miss a DSLR with a fast lens...
PS. please let me know your favourite work of Rodin among the ones you see above
Old Sep 26, 2006, 7:42 AM   #9

Hello bahadir, some nice photos there, also history lessons, there is some work of Rodin's in tower gardens in London, tower gardens is a public park, The Burghers of Calais, I understand that under french law no more than 12 casts of this piece were permitted after Rodin's death, the castings were purchased by the goverment in 1911, thats all I know about him really, but I liked the look of his work.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2006, 9:05 AM   #10

I am so pleased to read your kind words, Alex. As Imentioned before, I deeply admire Rodin's profound knowledge and appreciation for the Classical Art. In this regard, I findThe Burghers of Calais a great groupsculpture which I 'somehow' associate with the Renaissance sculptor Nanni di Banco's Four Crowned Martyrsemphisizing theunderlying values of Antiquity.

Will be delighted to see your photos of the burghers groupby Rodin when youvisit London