Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:48 PM   #1

After first posting the story on the Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel, I thought it would be good to do a follow up.

The Arc de Triomphe de l'Etoile was conceived by Napoleonshortly after his victory at Austerlitz and was based on classical Roman designs, but on a grander scale. It was designed by Jean François Thérèse Chalgrin, but was not completed until 1836, so neither Napoleon or Chalgrin saw the finished product,although Napoleon did make one trip under the completedArc, when he was returned from St. Helena to be entombed at the Invalides. Go to this link for a very good story on Napoleon's funeral:

http://www.napoleonbonaparte.nl/news...oleon1840.html

Now to the images. This first picture was taken when we arrived at the site. Our walk that daystarted the morning firstat the Tulleries, walking to the Place de la Concorde, then down the Champs Elysees, stopping along the way to see the Grand and Petit Palais. By the time we arrived it had been quite a long walk...
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:51 PM   #2

We started to cross the Champe Elysees to get to the other side where the tunnel was located to walk underneath the round-a-bout to get to the Arc. At first I waited patiently for the man in front to move, then I thought he might make a good element in the image anyway, so I stood on top of a traffic box in the median to get above him and shot with the 7mm end of my 7-14 Zuiko..
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:52 PM   #3

Once on the other side, we walked through the tunnel and upon coming up, I went to an appropriate spot and shot at 9mm with the same 7-14 Zuiko..
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:55 PM   #4

Here is a collage of some of the various designs to be found on the Arc. This is one of my main uses of Photoshop CS2, besides image re-touching...
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:57 PM   #5

Trying to do something I've not seen before on this subject, I walked directly underneath the Arc and shot straight up with my 7-14 Zuiko set to 7mm. In addition to many battles listed, there are also listed some 558 Generals from past French armies. Ones who's names are underlined were killed in battle.
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:59 PM   #6

The unknown French Soldier, located underneath the monument.
Attached Images

Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:04 PM   #7

I know it's a little out of order, but here's an image I took when we first began our walk. I took this with the Arc du Carrousel at my back. The view is through the Tulleries, Place de laConcorde and down the Champs Elysees, and was taken at the 200mm end of my 50-200 Zuiko. The compression qualities of the lens at 200mm are quite evident. It's amazing how "close" everything looks- especially those buildings of "Modern Paris" beyond the Arc.
Attached Images

Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:02 AM   #8

Again, very nice serial from you, Greg. Was moved by the UnknownFrench Soldierand theimage capturedfrom underneath the Arch.This time we were able to see a collage workfrom you which appealed to me as an abstract of the shots here. Would like to see one in every set you consider sending from now on You might find it irrelevant, but one thing I enjoy seeing in your photos is the effort of other people trying to take a decent shots while you are actually doing it:-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote