Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:11 PM   #1

You may know theforcedly affairbetween Demeter and Poseidon while on her travel after her abducted daughter Persepone...

Tv: 1/160 Av: f/5 @18 mm ISO:800 Metering: partial, Canon 300D
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:16 PM   #2

It is River God who might have witnessed this encounter...

Tv:1/30 Av:f/4 @25mm. Metering:average Iso:800
Attached Images

Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:18 PM   #3

Intriguing and interesting as are all your posts, bahadir. Prompted me to "Google" her, but I didn't find the connection between here and Poseidon. Could you elaborate?

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:55 PM   #4

Greek mythology is one thing I have not studied as much as I would have liked, and it's been High School (when I was 17 years old...man, that wasa long time ago) since I read Homer.

Only one sensible answer....I've got to visit Greece.

Nice stuff, bahadir. Where did you record these?
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:30 PM   #5

Walter, thanks for the encouragement. I am overenjoyed to hear from you.

Quote:
...but I didn't find the connection between here and Poseidon. Could you elaborate?
With pleasure!

According to the myth, Demeter(goddess of harvest and fertility)whose daughter Persopone iskidnapped byHades (the god of the underworld)to make a wife for himself, starts a quest to find her.Due to her grief andher involvement with her questearthbecomes sounfertilethatZeus tries to convince his brother Hadestomake a comprimise.The deal they settle requires Persepone to stayin the underworldfour months every year during which is to be winter thereafter...After depicting the background, now, the connection between Demeter and Poseidonis that, during Demeter's quest for her daughter,hercelebrated beauty attracts the attention of Poseidon who, then, starts to persue her. Demeter, in order to get rid of him, disguises in the form of a mare. However,Poseidonwho isn't fooled by this trick turns himseld into a stallion andtakes her. As a result of this incest relation, because Demeter is Zeus and Hades' sister btw, Demeter gives birth to a fabulous horse by the name of Arion...

Hope this makes sense Please do not hesitate for any further explanation..
Old Oct 14, 2006, 4:52 PM   #6

Greg, thank you for your appreciation..These workswere found inthevicinityof Izmir, the citywhere I live.There's an extensive Sculpturebuilding in Izmir Archeological Museum where you can see manyother works ofantiquity.

You wrote:

Quote:
Greek mythology is one thing I have not studied as much as I would have liked, and it's been High School (when I was 17 years old...man, that wasa long time ago) since I read Homer.
Only one sensible answer....I've got to visit Greece.
Btw,I don't wish to upset anyone Just a reminder: Homeros and Heredot, the first being father of 'Greek' mythology and literature,the latter father of history,are both from Anatolia, theland ofMother Goddess, in fact, mother of Europe...
Old Oct 17, 2006, 4:37 AM   #7

Bahadir,

Lovely photos. I love the lighting contrast (brighter / darker areas) between the 2 statues in the first photo.

Having just returned from my honeymoon in Greece, it is so interesting to read your "elabouration". I'm glad Walter asked!! Thanks for informing us of the details, very informatively and succinctly.

I don't usually look too often at the travel section or post here, but I might have a few contributions to make sorting through some honeymoon snaps..

Again, thanks for the post. (& PM)

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:01 PM   #8

With the arriving of many interesting photos and even galleries, it has been such a prolific time for the forums that I amnow able to reply my own post at last! Maybe it is your return which lies beneath this benediction, Paul

Quote:
Thanks for informing us of the details, very informatively and succinctly.
I am glad to hear that my words proved to be explanatory. Ah, I think I am too aware of the pain. Sometimesa simple information is scattered across too many sources and sometimes a seemingly adequate source can beoverly dedicated to an issue and full of acedemic verbosity!
Quote:
I don't usually look too often at the travel section or post here.
And neither did I untill some time ago when I discovered the gems here! Besides there are times whenI feel myselfmerely a traveller inthe landwhere I am supposed to be very familiar with :?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 4:31 PM   #9

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Walter, thanks for the encouragement. I am overenjoyed to hear from you.

Quote:
...but I didn't find the connection between here and Poseidon. Could you elaborate?
With pleasure!

According to the myth, Demeter(goddess of harvest and fertility)whose daughter Persopone iskidnapped byHades (the god of the underworld)to make a wife for himself, starts a quest to find her.Due to her grief andher involvement with her questearthbecomes sounfertilethatZeus tries to convince his brother Hadestomake a comprimise.The deal they settle requires Persepone to stayin the underworldfour months every year during which is to be winter thereafter...After depicting the background, now, the connection between Demeter and Poseidonis that, during Demeter's quest for her daughter,hercelebrated beauty attracts the attention of Poseidon who, then, starts to persue her. Demeter, in order to get rid of him, disguises in the form of a mare. However,Poseidonwho isn't fooled by this trick turns himseld into a stallion andtakes her. As a result of this incest relation, because Demeter is Zeus and Hades' sister btw, Demeter gives birth to a fabulous horse by the name of Arion...

Hope this makes sense Please do not hesitate for any further explanation..
That's right bahadir,,, but is it really a myth alot of this stuff has got to be true. I see you got a 300D nice choice is it with the kit 18-55 lens, very nice pictures.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 8:21 PM   #10

Hi,Hercules! I was just wondering where you could be
Quote:
...but is it really a myth alot of this stuff has got to be true.
ακριβώς! I'll refer to Plato's allusion of 'cave'heredefining what we see as reality being only the shadows on the wall!
Quote:
I see you got a 300D nice choice is it with the kit 18-55 lens, very nice pictures.
Thank you for your appreciation! Yes, it is the kit lens, the earlier version thoug. Your kit lens must be the 18-55II version. In fact it is a barrowed one to see what a low priced DSLR (with the introduction of new models) is capable of without even investing on lens. First I was disappointed with the results when compared with my Canon S70 http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=8

However, after getting used to shooting at partial metering at M mode always , and playing with parameters, I am now quite pleased about the results. Although I shoot at noon (you know the mediterranean sun!) with many white buildings around, no blown out walls! (whichis very a real challenge for my good old S70) I brighten up the image in PS and still no blown out partsFor low light photography, it allowssome advantage over S70, butdue tonoisestarting at ISO 800 and slower lens, f/3.5 at wide (which is not advicable though, because the kit lens likes higher AV values such as f/8 ) not a very significant difference I can say...