Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:18 AM   #1

When I returned from Paris, I came back with over 1,500 RAWfiles in my 40 GB image tank. After culling through them and processing what I thought were the best of the best, I came out with just over 700 images that I have since posted to my website here:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1547796

Obviously, at this point I could send them to anyone with a computer to view, but I wanted a set of prints to put in an album for both myself and to have that I could show anyone by simply taking the book to a house or office place, and I wanted to do something "different". I did not just want to have a set of 4x6 prints or 5x7 to put in an album.

My decision was to create collages in Photoshop and print them on 8.5x11 (A4) sized paper. In some cases, it is just one image with a border around the outside, but on other pages sets of 2, 3, or even 4 images in differing styles and sizes, making the look different as you turn each page. I'll post a few here for your review. The first image is that of a single file, with the followingfiles of multiple images. The bordering allowed me to type descriptions for the viewer to follow the trip as they turn the pages.

I hope you enjoy these. I have just completed printing the first of two weeks we spent in Paris and the surrouding area, and I am very pleased with the "Look" of the book. I don't know anymore how many people actually get around to printing even some of what is shot with all the digital cameras in use today. The digital process is so much fun. There's no reason one should limit themselves to traditional prints when programs like Photoshop open up so many options we never had prior to the digital era.
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:19 AM   #2

Collage #1
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:20 AM   #3

Collage #2
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:20 AM   #4

Collage #3
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:20 AM   #5

Collage #4
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:21 AM   #6

Collage #5
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:21 AM   #7

Collage #6
Attached Images

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:26 AM   #8

I am in the process of loading all the collages I did to my website as method of backing up my work. This obviously is not a small project and the last thing I want is some major disaster at my workstationto wipe out my hours of work in Photoshop creating these. At this point I am far from adding all the images I have done to date and I am still working to complete the project and will be adding new images over the next several weeks, but once finished, here is where they all will be:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1908427

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:57 AM   #9

Greg,

Let me say it looks like a FANTASTIC range of photos, superb quality and lots of thought you have put into these.... not to mention LOTS of work.

Have fun with the collage making.... I'm envious of your creativity!

The first one is really great (wise choice of matching frame colour too, of course!)

Well done.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 6:35 AM   #10

As I saw in your earlier set, you're doing quite well at collage work, which is a more demanding job than dealing with one particular image, IMO!One hasgot to bring the most representative parts of the edifice which does not only require a decentaesthetical sense but also, at least, a basic knowledge of history of architecture. Ah, of course, the passion such as yours! Btw, there's an image in your gallery which I quite associate with myself:The End of a Long Walk
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote