Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:24 PM   #1

Here are some of my impressions from Miniaturk,the scale model areain Istanbul, which was built to bring almost all the times and places in Anatolia! So far they have completed 105 pieces, at a scale of 1/25. The first two edifices below are among the Seven Wonders of the World as you know.

#1 & 2 -Temple of Artemis in Ephesus; 80m(260ft)x130m(430ft) with columns of 20m(60ft).completed in 550BC. sponsored by the Lydian king Croesus.

#3- The Mausoleum in Halicarnassus- Started by the Carian king Maussollos's wife Artemisia upon his death in 353BC. reaching a height of 45m(140ft). The chariot drawn by four horses at the top wasintended to bring the coupletogether to eternity...

#4- Aspendos Theater- The best preserved theater of antiquity which was built in the 2nd AD during the reign of emperor-philosopher Marcus Aurelius. Still active today!

Here we go...

Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:24 PM   #2

#
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:25 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:26 PM   #4

##4
Attached Images

Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:18 AM   #5

This is cool....I'll have to ask my friend at the office if they saw that when they were there. I like watching History International when they go to some of theancient cities, show the ruins and then super-impose what it looked like on top of the ruins. Do you kow how many pieces they eventually plan to build, or is the 105 so far going to be all? The scale is not insignificant. I imagine to see it all at once is impressive.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 5:52 AM   #6

Greg, in the first place I would like to thank for your kind interest.

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
This is cool....I'll have to ask my friend at the office if they saw that when they were there. I like watching History International when they go to some of theancient cities, show the ruins and then super-impose what it looked like on top of the ruins.
Considering the remnants of the edifice in the site it was unearthed(which I saw at first hand)and the parts from it in therenowned museums of the world I saw in Art History books also featuring its reconstruction drawings as well as the related depictionsby ancient authors,I thinkIwas more excited to see them than an average observer there!
Quote:
Do you kow how many pieces they eventually plan to build, or is the 105 so far going to be all?
Miniaturk'sfoundation was laid in 2001 by the municipality of Istanbul,having the largest area of its kind in the world. The number 105 is what they fullfilled so far.I do not know if there's a certain number to reach but it is sure that they are going on..
Quote:
The scale is not insignificant. I imagine to see it all at once is impressive
Well indeed...I really had a great time there this summer! I know itis a good idea to include people near them to give the scale as I did in the first two shots, but again,which I do not prefer in general forIoftentend to arrange things which I find to spoil the overall aesthetics
Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:51 AM   #7

How wonderful that the city would take the time & money to construct these replicas! They did a splendid job...as my amateur eyes would conclude! The detailing looks tobe painstaking to able to get these to this small of a model. Bahadir, in reading your posts over the last couple of months, I think its phenomal the amount of pride that you must have of history, architecture, landscape & overall beauty of the area that you live. As always, thank you for the posts!!!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:56 AM   #8

Ron, thanks God, almostevery time I thought I did a decent job, I was able toget an inspiring feedbackfrom you Thus, in fact, it is your degree of sensitivity to the beautiful and the meaningful which is most worthy of appreciation! As for the scale model park where I shot, I think the municipality did a good job not only realizing this great enterprise but building it in not a very 'chic' district and keeping the enterence fee as low as possible toenable people from every layer of societyand their children,at least, to have sight of the foundations of universal values. Sadly, the major tandencyisalways calculating the financial cost of building such enterprises rather than the social cost of not building them!!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:30 PM   #9

Excellent images bahadir, really love them, the composition, and w/b are very good.

You have excelled yourself here.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2006, 3:25 PM   #10

Alex wrote:
Quote:
You have excelled yourself here
Considering the observers such as yourself, one cannot help but feels the necessity to improve oneself I must say I am very glad to read that you liked the composition also, which has always been my priority,having no ready made one size fits all formula!