Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:05 PM   #1

I thought about this for a while before doing this subject. Nothing presented here can really convey the audacity, splendor, sheer magnitude....I could go on and on with words like that to describe Versailles. I've read about it, seen pictures, television shows, but once you've seen it in person you realizenothing you saw before-hand could prepare you for it, and we only spent 4 hours there one day during our 12 day stay in Paris. To really see it properly, I can see someone spending at least two FULL DAYS, and spending the night between near-by so you don't have to take the time to go there both days by train from Paris.

We had a Paris Museum Pass, which gets you in all the places we went, which included the "apartments" (never was a word used more incorrectly), Royal Chapel, Hall of Battles, Hall of Mirrors, then the adjacent grounds closest to the Chateau. All told, I would guess we only saw, maybe 10% of the place. Had we made the entire facility, I probably could have filled 20GB worth of cards.

OK, on to the images I picked out to show here. It was hard trying to find 5-6 images of this place, so I've added a couple more than I've done to date in presenting these short tours of the Paris area.

This is an image of what you see as you approach the front gate.

Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:06 PM   #2

and here's a close-up of the detail of the front gate. This is just afirst hintas to what you see inside...
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:09 PM   #3

Here is an image of the Royal Chapel, where the King would worship while living here. This particular room was off-limits. There were two places you could shoot this. At this opening and through the same opening on the first floor. The doors were open and everyone there was pushing to get to the front and shoot a "clean" image, so for this shot I used my 7-14 Zuiko at 7mm to try and capture the entire view.

This is one awesome chapel...
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:11 PM   #4

From there, I went downstairs and, fitting my 50-200 Zuiko, I shot a closeup of the alter and lower half of the organ....WOW...
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:15 PM   #5

From there, we checked out a few of the "apartments"....if you want to call them that. Beautiful rooms of paintings, artwork...amazing. I got to the point to where I started just shooting highlights within certain rooms, like here...
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:16 PM   #6

The Hall of Battles. These are huge, magnificent scenes of great French battles. The room just seems to go on and on and on....
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:18 PM   #7

Hall of Mirrors. This place was wall to wall people, and I did not want to shoot a room full of people so, using my 7-14 Zuiko set to 7mm, I just starting pointing the camera up until all the people disappeared and I was left with this...
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:21 PM   #8

One of the famous paintings I've seen in books is that of Napoleon, crowning himself and Josephine at Notre Dame while the Pope looks on. The original hangs here, and covers an entire wall,and again, people were all over in front of me. Fortunately, the main part of the painting was hung high enough I was able to do this...
Attached Images

Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:23 PM   #9

And last, one image of a couple of files I shot just outside the Chateau around the gardens and fountains. I'll end this here....I could go on for many, many more....but I won't. I hope you enjoyed these...
Attached Images

Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:10 AM   #10

Beautiful shots, as always. I like your use of wide angle. You have an excellent eye for angle and determing picture appeal.

Looking at the pictures of Versailles, I find it astounding that Versaille survived the French Revolution, considering it must have been the leading symbol of excess and decadence at the time.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote