Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:40 PM   #1

I was in Guangzhou (China) this past November. Visited this temple. Saw some monks walking single file so I quickly took the opportunity to grab the shot. I was in Program AE mode. Didn't really pay attention to the settings. And just took the shot.

The settings were f/4.0 at 1/80s with the ISO speed at 64.

The monks faces came out less than sharp. Soft even. Would using a faster shutter speed have helped? Like 1/125s? With the aperture at maybe f/5.6?

Keep in mind I'm using a Sony DSC-H1 which is really still a P&S camera. Where f/2.8 (or f/4.0 in this case) is really f/5.6 or so.

Any advice would be appreciated...in case I find myself in Guangzhou yet again.
Attached Images

DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:53 PM   #2

The picture is fine. It's what you did NOT do after downloading it to the computer that's the problem.Here's what it looks like after being run through the Smart Sharpen Filter of Photoshop CS-2.

You need to look into some photo-related software you can use to "finish" your images. As you can see, even with a digicam,what you download from the camera is not necessarilythe best possible end-product.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:48 PM   #3

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
The picture is fine. It's what you did NOT do after downloading it to the computer that's the problem.Here's what it looks like after being run through the Smart Sharpen Filter of Photoshop CS-2.

You need to look into some photo-related software you can use to "finish" your images. As you can see, even with a digicam,what you download from the camera is not necessarilythe best possible end-product.
Hello Greg,

We meet again!

I have Picasa 2. But have considered picking up Photoshop Elements 5.0. CS2 is a bit more than I feel like spending on software ($700.00 CAD).

I'm assuming Elements 5.0 also has the "Smart Sharpen Filter" feature.

Btw, could you repost the picture? It didn't make it through.

Also, if I had used a smaller aperture and faster shutter speed would the picture have come out sharper?

PART 2.....after posting my reply I noticed the website you were using was doing some maintaince. I'll check back later.

Picasa 2 does all me to sharpen the image. But I wasn't sure I was happy with the result.
Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 9:37 PM   #4

Hi DarkDTSHD,

I have not checked the contents of Elements 5, but it could well have the Smart Sharpen filter. The last version of Elements I've worked with at all was 3.0 (my girlfriend has it)and it did not have it, but I thinkthat featurecame out after Elements 3.0. Elements has probably 85-90% of what I use in Photoshop. In some cases certain features are limited, but Elements is a powerful tool.

I downloaded Picasa 2.0 for my mother and Dad while I was home at Christmas. For freeware it looks very nice. I never played with the sharpen feature so I can't really comment about it's functionality, but my mother liked how it worked as we played with some of the things it could do.

There probably isn't much need to close your aperture down futher than f5.6 or f8. At f4 you'll see in the sharpened image that all the monks are pretty much in focus as well as the building. The needto stop down a little further wouldoccur if you zoomed further into the tele range and needed to maintain a large depth of field.

I can see the image I adjustedboth in my original message and in the one where you included what I typed, but here's where I loaded it prior to adding it to this site:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/photos/123457698-L.jpg

Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:33 PM   #5

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Hi DarkDTSHD,

I have not checked the contents of Elements 5, but it could well have the Smart Sharpen filter. The last version of Elements I've worked with at all was 3.0 (my girlfriend has it)and it did not have it, but I thinkthat featurecame out after Elements 3.0. Elements has probably 85-90% of what I use in Photoshop. In some cases certain features are limited, but Elements is a powerful tool.

I downloaded Picasa 2.0 for my mother and Dad while I was home at Christmas. For freeware it looks very nice. I never played with the sharpen feature so I can't really comment about it's functionality, but my mother liked how it worked as we played with some of the things it could do.

There probably isn't much need to close your aperture down futher than f5.6 or f8. At f4 you'll see in the sharpened image that all the monks are pretty much in focus as well as the building. The needto stop down a little further wouldoccur if you zoomed further into the tele range and needed to maintain a large depth of field.

I can see the image I adjustedboth in my original message and in the one where you included what I typed, but here's where I loaded it prior to adding it to this site:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/photos/123457698-L.jpg

Hiya Greg,

Well, looks like that site you used is done. I see the change. And I also used Picasa 2's sharpen filter again after I posted my reply. Did a decent job. The change to the monk's faces were quite noticeable. Details in the building behind them were there. Like your picture.

For a free program it's fairly decent. Limitaitons and all. Does a lot of what I want done at the moment. But I think I will still look into picking up a copy of E5. Will go to the Adobe site and check on their sharpening feature. I'd assume it has one as this is a pretty common feature.

Any how, thanks for your input. Take care.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:06 PM   #6

Yes, looks like Smugmug is having some issues right now. Here's theimage as I sharpened itposted directly to this site, something I should have done up front.
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2007, 5:30 PM   #7

Neat photograph,

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote