Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Mar 1, 2007, 9:44 AM   #11

mcliu wrote:
Quote:
Hi Telecorder,
you are carrying so much of luggage.I think you will be needing few more hands to carry your camera.sI had a very frustrating experiece during travel anywhere.and the lesson I have leraned is "Travel Light".Too many cameras, lenses & attachments will bother you neck ( remember to take pain killers).Half of it you will hardly use.
During travel I think it is more importent to capture the moments which will be fleeting very fast .by the time you decide the shot is gone.
So remember "Travel light" & take lots of shots(extra batteries & memory card wont be the bad idea)
Wish you a happy and fruitful journey.
And Do not forget to post your momeries in this forum
Yeah, 'tis probably the case. One of the issues is also the intercountry flight from Beijing to Shanghai limiting each person to one checked bag at <20kg. I've already tried a 'dress up run through' to see how all will come together -- what with dressing for the temperatures (18F-50F), carrying the photo gear and what not.

The Op/Tech elastic harness strap is a great addition as it allows the D50 to hang from the shoulder strap hands free but is easily raised for shooting. I picked up a Tamrac Adventure 3 shoulder bag that seems to beideal for carrying my SB-600, 35 f/2-D, 70-300 LD lenses, memory cards/batteries and still have room for my FZ30 with easy access. Having a lot of experience treking around with my 4-pound Bigma lens and monopod, I'm sort of used to the bulk/weight already.

My Scottevest is also a handy addition. It's a great wind breaker and has enough pockets (33) that, if need be, could almost allow all of the cameraitems, sans FZ30, to be carried in its pockets. It also has an internal back hidden partition that Im able to insert/carry my 2-L hydration bladder (radiation treatments left me w/minimal saliva function). The sipping tube is routed through the lining to the top of my shoulder so its easily accessible whenever needed.

Thus far, its looking favorable as the weather forecast, currently, is for rain on arrival this Sunday but sunny - mostly sunny Mon-Fri w/ possible showers Sat in Guanghzou/Shanghai. Maybe we'll luck out in the grand scheme of things... :G

Being part of a guided business development tour (200+ in full group), with a dedicated tour bus/guide for oursection of ~ 30 in our group may be an advantage, somewhat. We'll see. Once we get on the ground and start traveling, I may discern what gear is appropriate and what's excess. I fully anticipate that the majority of images will probably be with my D50/18-70-DX but, like any circumstance, I'm optimistic that the good lighting will afford some good opportunities for the other lenses that would be hard-pressed to achieve with just the single lens.

I guess I'll have to set up a better web host once we return to both post my images and a 'blog' detailing the experiences - both as a tourist and as a photog with first-hand -- been there, done that insights...:idea:
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:42 PM   #12

As an update, our trip was everything we had imagined, and then some. I took over 37-GB/5,000+ images between my D50 and Pany FZ30 during the 7-days in country. About 1,300 of the images are posted in my Travel - SmugMug Gallery.

All-in-all, the advice given and anticipated were very valid. In retrospect, the 18-200 VR lens would have been ideal but the 18-70 DX performed admirably for probably 95% of the images. The SB-600 came in handy in a lot of venues/circumstances.

The monopod was only used/helpful for self-portraits on the Great Wall after the wife gave up on continued climbing...

Overpacked clothes but very little on camera equipment. The Wolverine MVP 60-GB PSD was great and did not need the SmartDisk PSB (and was tiresomely slow at that)

I've had a Shutterfly leather bound photo album printed of about 270+ images that is a conversation-piece as well as the 16x20 and 20x30 images printed by Adorama
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote