Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:23 PM   #1

Getting anxious as our March 3rd - 11 trip to Beijing/Shanghai/Guangzhou trip approaches... Its a guided business development Chamber of Commerce trip that, for wife & I, is probably a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. The 200+ group will be broken into groups of 20-30 with a dedicated tour guide going to the major venues.

I'm trying to sort out my equipment and would appreciate any comments/suggestions as to my gear I'm anticipating lugging along.

Currently, I'm anticipating
(with wife and/or sister-in-law primarily handling the FZ30):
Cameras:
D50
Pany FZ30

Lenses:
Nikon 35 f/2 D
Nikon 18-70 DX
Tamron 70-300 LD Macro

SB-600 Flash (probably limited use to Xian Army, dinners & ?...)
4 - 2GB + 2 - 1GB SD cards
Wolverine 60GB MVP PSD
SmartDisk 30GB Photobank PSD (secondary backup PSD)

Bogen 682B Monopod/3232 Bogen Tilt Head (has tripod legs in base)
Op/Tech Bino/Cam Suspender Harness Strap - Elastic Version
Lowepro REZO 140 AW Bag

Chargers for D50, SB-600, FZ30 batteries
2-D50 batteries
3-FZ30 batteries
Hoya CP Polarizer
Lenspen & microfiber cleaning cloth
Giotto Rocket Blower

Due to a medical condition and damaged saliva glands (Proton radiation from 5-years ago), I'll be wearing a hydration backpack to aid in carrying lenses/gear

LOL -- I'll probably be way overloaded with gear and having to dress for the weather 20F - 50F

Thus far, I'm locked in to the above lenses due to budget -- also realizing the 18-70 DX will probably be my main lens and the 35 f/2D being my low light go to, the 70-300 is questionable due to opportunities/IQ but would like to have capabilities for D50 for potential discreet street-scene portraits... Likewise, I'm waffling on the additional potential SB-600 need/opportunities.

Given the above, any experienced insights, suggestions, over looked gear, precautions that any may care to comment on?
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2007, 12:39 AM   #2

You have the adapters to convert your chargersto the plug where you are going, right? The chargers have built-in adapters, so you'll just need the plugs and you don't want to forget them. Take it from someone who forgot one set when I went to Paris last year. I still had a couple, but it made the re-charging process ofvarious batteries a little longer each evening.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 9:43 AM   #3

Great point. Having multiple chargers, I had better cover my bases and not rely on the hotels having ample numbers that I'l need...
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:47 PM   #4

Telecorder wrote:
Quote:
Great point. Having multiple chargers, I had better cover my bases and not rely on the hotels having ample numbers that I'l need...
You could also charge several batteries at home first. That's what I did before my trip To China this past November 2006. I was in Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Shanghai and Hong Kong. It was a blast and an eye opener. I knew China has been growing as an economic power but till you actually set foot there you have no idea!! In some ways their cities make my city, Toronto, seem almost "backward". Hope you enjoy your trip!! And feel free to PM me if you have questions or comments.

Post some pics when you return!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:29 AM   #5

How about batteries & charger for your flash?...Harvey
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:52 AM   #6

Thanks, guys...

I've gone through and evaluated the need for chargers and plug adapters since I'll eventually have the need to charging batteries for:

D50 (1+2 spare batteries); FZ30 (1+2 spare batteries); SB-600 (set of 4); Wolverine 60GB PSD; SmartDisk 30GB PSD; Cell Phone

I have a multiplug adapter along with a 3-way outlet that will allow me to use 3 chargers at once along with a couple of spare plug adapters. Good news is that the D50 battery consumption is usually very good. The FZ30 is about 1/3 - 1/2 of the D50 and I'm not anticipating many opportunities to fully use the SB-600 flash... The PSDs will only be used for storing the day's images so they can be plugged in during transfers.

I also picked up some Op/Tech rain covers to have on hand should we run into any showers... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

The wife & I are starting to get antsy in anticipation of leaving a week from this Friday. Now we've got to start looking at packing and fitting everything into a single suitcase as the Beijing-Shanghai in-country flight only allows one suitcase per person at <44-pounds... :sad:
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:15 AM   #7

Don't orget a lot of what you need is made near by
When I went in 1986, I would have liked something to continually pinch me.
Awesome experieince. Other than gear, pack light and take comfortable walking shows, broken in prferred. When we went the toilets were still primitive and should that still be the case, pack knee pads ... OK, sounds gross but it was really just surreal. Whatever you do or see, do it with the joy of knowing this will be worth a lifetime of memories. Have fun, don't worry about much, do as the locals do. I could go on and on, but what I found was the group we were in went as the ugly american model suffered
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:43 AM   #8

On the non-photographic side of things, take along personal hygiene items, even kleenex in packets wherever you go...some of the bathrooms "run out" of paper and be sure you have a lock, even on the side pockets to your suitcase. Kleenex packets and cough drops mysteriously disappeared from ours at an inland China airport.

And be sure to wash all fresh fruit or better yet, remove the skin, before eating. Some in out group ate apples right from the orchard and even after wiping them with handkerchefs(sp) got sick for the next 3 days. Have a great trip...Harvey:-)
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:01 PM   #9

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't orget a lot of what you need is made near by
[/quote]
Quote:
That's what's so interesting in looking at a lot of what we're packing...
Quote:
Quote:
When I went in 1986, I would have liked something to continually pinch me.
Awesome experieince. Other than gear, pack light and take comfortable walking shows, broken in prferred. When we went the toilets were still primitive and should that still be the case, pack knee pads ... OK, sounds gross but it was really just surreal.
Quote:
I anticipated these issues and the info from the tour organizer addresses it, as well. When in Rome and all that...
Quote:
Quote:
Whatever you do or see, do it with the joy of knowing this will be worth a lifetime of memories. Have fun, don't worry about much, do as the locals do.
Quote:
That's what has us so jazzed...
Quote:
Quote:
I could go on and on, but what I found was the group we were in went as the ugly american model suffered
Quote:
Not sure the intent/implication of the last comment... Our group is a Busines Development - Chamber of Commerce tour so I'd anticipate most of us being a bit more appreciative of the culture differences. I imagine that there has been a lot of cultural changes in the interim decade but, even with that, I anticipate a lot of remaining culture-shock for some in our group...

Quote:
On the non-photographic side of things, take along personal hygiene items, even kleenex in packets wherever you go...some of the bathrooms "run out" of paper and be sure you have a lock, even on the side pockets to your suitcase. Kleenex packets and cough drops mysteriously disappeared from ours at an inland China airport.

And be sure to wash all fresh fruit or better yet, remove the skin, before eating. Some in out group ate apples right from the orchard and even after wiping them with handkerchefs(sp) got sick for the next 3 days. Have a great trip...Harvey:-)
Harvey- As I indicated above, the tour organizer alludes to this so I've included in my check list to bring some Charmin and handi-paks of such. Including --

___ -- Anti-diarrhea medication (e.g., bismuth subsalicylate – Pepto Bismol)

___ -- Prilosec/Anti-GERD/Antacid /Meds

___ -- Excedrin

___ -- Decongestant, alone or in combination with antihistamine

___ -- Cough suppressant/expectorant

___ -- Throat lozenges/Nasal Saline solution

___ -- Lubricating eye drops (e.g., Natural Tears)

___ -- Mild laxative

I even have some of New Zealand's'No-Jet-Lag' tablets on the way to see if they assist in countering the effects of the 16-hour flight to, and from, China...

With the increasing number of photog-buddies having the potential opportunity to make such a visit in the future (Olympics etc...), I plan on posting both my images and some of my learned insights/experiences upon return. Of possible interest, beyond the photographic equipment/opportunityinsights, I'm sure others will be interested in how my noise cancellation earplugs, No-Jet-Lag tabs, power adapters gear perform...:-)

Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:06 AM   #10

Hi Telecorder,
you are carrying so much of luggage.I think you will be needing few more hands to carry your camera.sI had a very frustrating experiece during travel anywhere.and the lesson I have leraned is "Travel Light".Too many cameras, lenses & attachments will bother you neck ( remember to take pain killers).Half of it you will hardly use.
During travel I think it is more importent to capture the moments which will be fleeting very fast .by the time you decide the shot is gone.
So remember "Travel light" & take lots of shots(extra batteries & memory card wont be the bad idea)
Wish you a happy and fruitful journey.
And Do not forget to post your momeries in this forum
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote