Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old May 13, 2008, 9:13 PM   #1

A client of mine in Rockville, Maryland, has a branch office in Bedford, in southwestern Virginia, on US Route 460 between Lynchburg and Roanoke. I go down there quite often, but have never made it to the D-Day Memorial until today.

In 1944, Bedford had a population of about 3,200. Nineteen Bedford residents, members of Company A of the 29th Infantry Division, died on Omaha Beach. Proportionally, Bedford suffered our nation's most severe D-Day losses.

It's difficult to see in the shadow, but in gold letters across the top of the arch, it says "OVERLORD", the code-name for the D-Day invasion.

Under the arch, with Bedford in the background ...

General Dwight D. Eisenhower, the Supreme Commander of the Allied forces in Europe.

And hanging over Ike's head ...
Attached Images

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2008, 2:47 AM   #2

Well done mate! I especially found the sculpture groups in pic #3 and #4 quite interesting. Btw, it must have beenan outstanding military careerforsomeone whose sculpture (other than the one we see here in the memorial) was placed in front of the military academy where one started!!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 7:49 AM   #3

Thanks foryour kind comments, my friend. The sculptures representing the perils of the landing were most moving. #3 is from eye level, while #4 & #5 are from the steps leading down into the pool(with the help of my right-angle viewer.) I tried similar shots from the other side, but the spacing of the individual sculptures was too wide, which kept me from framing them such that the background wouldn't detract from the portrayal of the struggle.

And, yes, I suspect that few of us will achieve such prominence that our alma mater would erect a statue of us at its entrance. But then we can't all be "Supreme Commander Allied Expeditionary Force".

I took several shots of the Eisenhower statue, and was never very statisfied with any of them, but I dislike this one the least. And when I looked up and saw the mosaic of the OVERLORD plan, I thought "How perfect is that?" Again with the help of my right-angle viewer, I tried to capture how impressive it is in person. This 800x600 image doesn't do it justice. I'll be posting the full size original on my Photoshop Express site, and I'll include a link to it here.
Old May 17, 2008, 3:51 AM   #4

Interesting subject material nicely captured.......................musket.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 6:19 AM   #5

Musket,

Thanks for your comment.

It's an important monument, but it's so far out of the way. But I can't think of a place that deserves to host it more than Bedford.

Old May 17, 2008, 6:28 AM   #6

BTW, all were taken with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. Most were with my Tamron 17-50/2.8, but I used my Minolta 70-210/4.0 (Beercan) for#2 & #6.

And here's the link to my keepers:

http://tcav.photoshop.com/?galleryid...ackingid=BTAGC

And here's the link to the full sized photo of the mosaic of the D-Day invasion plan on the ceiling over Eisenhower's head:

http://api.photoshop.com/home_321ba3...4c419b4e029973
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:18 AM   #7

These are very striking images great work, and a very important monument#3 #4 #5 shots are facinating
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote