Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:08 AM   #1

Default I'm finally back...with some Thai photos

Hello dear Steve's Forum friends

I've been absent for a long time (for many and varied reasons) - but now planning to be more involved again - like the good ol' days. I've seen some great talent, just browsing here the last few hours.

A few weeks ago I went to Thailand - mainly to visit some friends in Bangkok. I booked & planned my travel early this year (when there were not yet any signs of protests, etc).

Part of my travel plans had to change due to this, so I spent most of the time in Phuket, but did eventually get to see my friends in Bangkok too. It was my first time in Thailand (though I've travelled and live extensively abroad for many years).

I loved my time there, and hope to share some of the experience with this sample of 5 photos in this post. You can view more on my online Thailand May 2010 album here: http://picasaweb.google.com/1974.paulj/ThailandMay2010#
I look forward to your comments! Will keep me feeling warm while going through winter here in Adelaide, South Australia (which is a 'chilly' +15 degrees Celsius - well it feels cold compared to the tropics!)

Warm regards,

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:45 AM   #2

Nice group of shots from beauty to destruction. Its been raining a lot here and when I have to go out in it I say Phucket too, and spend most of the time in. Nice to see you back. You've been missed.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:34 AM   #3

Very nice picks. Colors are gorgeous. Camera? Lens?
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Nice group of shots from beauty to destruction. Its been raining a lot here and when I have to go out in it I say Phucket too, and spend most of the time in. Nice to see you back. You've been missed.
I think PJ meant a town not a phrase but yea its been raining a lot but look at all the colors that the rain is bringing with it I love to play in the rain its the cold it gains on my skin!

PJ explain the shot where the glass is broken and the women in heels in the back ground! Great shots though!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Ha ha Bynx... your humour remains (and is wonderfully matched with your kindness). It's good to be back.

Indeed, you're right- I did want to convey a range of experiences through the selection of shared images. Hope you don't have too much rain there, mate.

I look forward to seeing your photos and plan to get more involved again. Cheers.

Paul
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Very nice picks. Colors are gorgeous. Camera? Lens?
Many thanks Ordo

The tropics were very obliging putting on a lovely display of varied rich colours.

The camera - Canon 7D

The lens - Canon 15-85mm.

A number of photos in my online albums (via this link http://picasaweb.google.com/1974.paulj/ThailandMay2010# ) were with the 50mm f1.8 prime, and I a few (maybe 2?) were Canon 100-300mm lens, but most with the 15-85mm lens, which is a great walk-around / travel lens for the 7D.

Paul
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
I think PJ meant a town not a phrase but yea its been raining a lot but look at all the colors that the rain is bringing with it I love to play in the rain its the cold it gains on my skin!

PJ explain the shot where the glass is broken and the women in heels in the back ground! Great shots though!
Yeah, SharpShotGal - you're right (and I think Bynx knew it too) - I did mean Phuket (as in the area / province of Thailand).

The tropical rain is quite refreshing. Thankfully most of the time I was in Thailand it was actually great weather. (even though it was supposed to be the start of the 'rainy season'). However the locals told me that apparently even in the worst months, it's not continuous.

The broken glass / woman in heels - well they are bullet holes. It is central Bangkok. There was a lot of shooting / protests there last month (Did you hear about it on the news there?) It was quite big news in Australia. So yes, (sadly) - those were fresh bullet holes. I titled that photo 'Trouble with sore, cracked feet?'

My online album shows many more photos evidencing the aftermath of the protests and the crackdown which led to its end.

http://picasaweb.google.com/1974.paulj/ThailandMay2010#

Thanks for looking

Paul
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Many thanks Ordo

The tropics were very obliging putting on a lovely display of varied rich colours.

The camera - Canon 7D

The lens - Canon 15-85mm.

A number of photos in my online albums (via this link http://picasaweb.google.com/1974.paulj/ThailandMay2010# ) were with the 50mm f1.8 prime, and I a few (maybe 2?) were Canon 100-300mm lens, but most with the 15-85mm lens, which is a great walk-around / travel lens for the 7D.

Paul
Well. You confirmed my own choice of lenses, which is very good news to me! Thanks!

Going T2i
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 6:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Well. You confirmed my own choice of lenses, which is very good news to me! Thanks!

Going T2i
That's good to hear my thread and posts here were useful. I also wrote a detailed reply at your post (linked above).

PJ
Old Jun 24, 2010, 2:33 AM   #10

[QUOTE=pj1974;1109457]Yeah, SharpShotGal - you're right (and I think Bynx knew it too) - I did mean Phuket (as in the area / province of Thailand).

The broken glass / woman in heels - well they are bullet holes. It is central Bangkok. There was a lot of shooting / protests there last month (Did you hear about it on the news there?) It was quite big news in Australia. So yes, (sadly) - those were fresh bullet holes. I titled that photo 'Trouble with sore, cracked feet?'

I don't watch the news much not since so much of it is bad news! I hate bad news when to much in my own life has been bad news! I prefer to not know and try to make it a better world in the way of being a good neighbor! and mind my business... to may out to get for not being on their own side of the life times!
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote