Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:22 PM   #1

Default Suggestions For Atlanta Photo Ops

I will be in Atlanta the week of September 12th and want to a bunch of pictures. I am from a rural area with a near-by small city, so this will be one of the few times I will be in a big city. I will be staying in the Decatur area of Atlanta and have access to a car and Marta Subway.

Any ideas for photo ops or places to go to get some good photos. I like airplanes and fire-rescue but am open to anything in general.

I have looked at tourist guides on yahoo but everything seems to be a tour like CNN, World of Coke etc. I'd like to do some photo ops on my own walking around, driving somewhere for an event or getting a lot of airplane pictures if that works out. Also would be great to catch some fire vehicles along the way.

Thanks in advance. I was in Atlanta once before and the only photo op I got was at Peach Tree Airport where I spent 3 hours taking pictures of planes. I won't be in that ares this time.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:21 PM   #2

Hi Photo 5: I lived in Atlanta for several years, its a very widespread area. If you get the chance, go to Stone Mountain park. Get some shots of the mountain with the impressive carving in the rock. Also, if they still have it, get some shots of the old steam locomotive passing in front of the mountain face and carvings. Take the tram to the top and get some shots from on top. You can also ride the train around the base of the mountain.

Downtown Atlanta is full of very interesting buildings and different architecture styles. Try to get some shots there both during the day and evening. Just be cognizant of your surroundings. Some sections of downtown are safer than others.

Take your camera and go in the late afternoon to the Sundial Bar (just over the Sundial restaurant) in the Peachtree Plaza Westin in the heart of downtown. The bar slowly revolves, taking about an hour per revolution. Some great photo opps thru the floor to ceiling glass walls. Try to time it to arrive just before the sun is starting to set.

Be sure to take a lot of money to Atlanta. Have fun.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote