Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Aug 11, 2010, 8:41 AM   #1

Default A week in Pytagorion / Samos island / Greece:

Hello folks!

Taking hollyday "snaps" is for me just that, and is made somewhat easier than taking 'more serious photographs' for the 'art of photo' - so to speek. It is more of a "bringing back memories" and "trying to catch the soul (which sometimes means cliché...) of the visited country". So it is to me, anyway. Another, and very important mission of hollyday-snaps is of cours, showing the town, the country and it's Mediterranian landscape.

I do not impose the same rigorous standards to hollyday-photography on myself, as I do to my other landscape-stuff - after all - I am on hollyday!!! Still I have tried to keep up som standards and I did not trow overbord all principles of good photographic behaviour......

The pictures I will show here, have no other meaning than being a sort of a digital dairy, as I'll post them chronologically from the first day (May 12th) to the last (May 19th). Be warned also that I am a boat-freak, so many of my hollyday-snaps are of different greek fishingboats....

# 1

# 2

# 3: Lobster-pots - Greek-style.

# 4: Fisherman coming in early in the morning. (Don't look at my EXIF's to verify the time of day, because I made a stupid mistake on the plane down, resetting the time on my G1 to local-time...)

# 5: Judging from the fishing-boats in this harbour, the greek fishermen are really doing their best to keep the boats ship-shape and nicely clean and painted. It shows that they are really proud of their boats! I like that.

Seasick yet....?

All pictures taken in Greece, are with my beloved Panasonic Lumix G1 (good girl, good girl...!)

Last edited by Walter_S; Aug 11, 2010 at 8:55 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2010, 9:16 AM   #2

Default Post 2 of: A week in Pytagorion / Samos island / Greece:

I'll just continue here then....

#6: Typical narrow street in the old residential area of the town.

#7: Here is the same street as above, but looking the other way. It just ends appruptly with a 40' drop into the Mediterrenian sea, only 'security-measurement' is an old iron garden-gate tied together and to a tre...

You have got to stay sober in this kind of environment.....!

#8 : This is the kind of Greek cliché-picture we have in our heads. A street scene, with orange-trees on either side and a black-clothed old woman walking dow the street...

#9 : This is a view of the gardens and porch of my hotel. The waves of the Mediterrenian sea are lapping the shore just 20' from the last row of tables....

#10 : The mainstreet in the afterglow of the setting sun. Another exciting day over. We go for an aperitif, which is Ouzo - of course!!!

All pictures taken in Greece, are with my beloved Panasonic Lumix G1 (good girl, good girl...!)

Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:51 PM   #3

Beautiful pictures! I own my wife and myself a travel to Greece.
More, more!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:48 PM   #4

Great photos, thanks for sharing. I'm not a boater myself but find small commercial fishing craft intriguing world over. They embody tradition but each with the unique stamp of the owner.

The traps (I presume) in photo 2 trigger an immediate off the wall thought - "Oh! here's the GPS" - and then I saw photo 3 which caused the thought "No, here's the GPS, the other was the satellite commo gear." Do you happen to know what they were actually intended to catch?

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:50 AM   #5

Thank you both for kind remarks!

Concerning the fishingboat's catch: I think they just go for "all i can get"-catch. Those are not commercial vessels, who normally are highly specialized. IMO these wooden boats are kept more as a family tradition, getting the odd meal off the sea, be it mixed smallfish or more likely, the highly regarded octopus.

Regards!
:^)
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:17 AM   #6

Default Continuing:

Another look at the harbour of Pytagorio:

# 11:
Early in the morning - All is quiet...

# 12:
Later in the evening: If you look closely, on the stone-pier on the left, there are several people - mostly retired fishermen - sitting underneath the trees fishing with hand-gear. Small hooks with bait of kneaded white-bread dogh on a nylon fishing line of 10-15 meters, with cork-floats and and small lead-sinkers at the end.

# 13:
Later that same evening, I climbed the hill behind the town, to get some night-shots of the harbour-area....

# 14:

This is where it all happens in the evening. The harbour promenade, where the jet-set walks up and down, to be seen by others - and the likes of me, sit down at one of the restaurants to watch them walk by....Oh, vanity!

# 15:

This situation just screamed "Motive" at me when I first saw it, and it didn't take long to react. Just love motives like this, so grateful, with tons of character and lively surface with lots of textures...
Windows with shutters on the inside.

# 16:
...which belongs to this house in the main-street.

# 17:
Another day draws to an end. The evening sun is getting ready to "bed" in the west (down that street) and we are getting ready for our evening Ouzo, served with small appetizers such as olives, small fried fish, freshly diced cucumbers with salt, apple-slices sprinkled with cinnamon and small greek meatballs. All served with a friendly smile!

That's life!

C ya!

Last edited by Walter_S; Aug 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:08 AM   #7

Walter it looks like you had a great time in Greece, these are great shots with really nice color.
I really like the night shots you did a spledid job,
I am leaving on August 31st with my family for vacation and will hit a few Islands
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote