Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:30 PM   #1

Default St. Jacobs Ontario

A Mennonite community. I'd never been there so with the itch to photo strong in me, I went there this morning. Hmmmm. Farmers Market looks like a new building. Went over to the town. Hmmmm again. Rode around and took a few building pictures but my heart wasn't in it. If there was one old building in town, I didn't see it. Most have been restored. Overly to me.

But if you love food and trinkets, it's your place! And that's the site of the first Home Hardware in Canada.
Attached Images

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2010, 8:31 AM   #2

Hi:

I grew up in an area with a sizable Mennonite population. One of my best friends in elementary school was Amish. Despite being one of the best students in the class, he left school to work on the farm after grade 8.

"Mennonite" encompasses a number of religious groups. Their beliefs and practices range widely. Some fully adopt 'modern' dress and technology. Others eschew technology and ornamentation. Their stance on technology is all over the map. 'Old Order Amish' are strictly horse and buggy. Other groups will use cars as long as everything (especially any chrome parts) are painted black. Some use strictly manual labour to do work while others will use electric power if it comes from their own generator (ie not the grid).

Most people think of the Amish groups (horse & buggy, 1800's type clothes) as "Mennonite". This is a hard, hard life. As a summer job, I worked in a feed mill and sometimes went on deliveries. Early one morning, we passed a field where a group of Amish women and girls were hoeing vegetables. After a long, hot, sunny day, we were coming back from the last delivery of the day and went past the same field. They were all still there hoeing; just a few rows over.

Wikipedia seems to have decent articles under Mennonite and Amish.

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:50 PM   #3

Here's the Farmers Market Structure. Full up with farm fresh produce and tons of meat. Baked goods too. For those that care, the washrooms were spotless and modern.
Attached Images

frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote