Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:53 PM   #1

Default Sunset processing help?

Hi:

I took quite a few shots of a sunset (Gravenhurst, Ontario, Canada) but I'm having trouble getting a print that even vaguely resembles what I think I saw! ;-)

The attached is straight out of the camera except for being resized to max 1024 width. I probably should have shot it in raw but that didn't occur to me in time.

The scene is too red/purple and dark. I use Graphic Converter on the Mac and I've tried using the "Brightness/Contrast/Hue..." command to work on the colour--reducing the Red Brightness by ~15% seems a bit better but I end up a bit taupe/golden (sky/water). I've also messed with the "Levels..." command to brighten the scene but I can't go far before the sun is completely blown out and rings appear around it.

Rather than play blindly (and maybe endlessly), I was hoping one of you more-experienced types could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Craig
PS I know the picture needs to be rotated--I can do that. I was using a tripod and one of the feet apparently ended up in a gap between the dock boards--hence the tilt.
Attached Images

PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:10 PM   #2

Is this what you were looking for?

DanaInMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3

Much better but still a bit more purple in the sky and water than I thought was there.

What did you do?

Craig
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:20 PM   #4

I am using Adobe Bridge to adjust the HSL/Grayscale colors. Also I adjusted the hues and contrast. Here is a few more adjustments. I took out a little more of the purple in the water and slightly changed the contrast:

DanaInMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:45 AM   #5

Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:30 AM   #6

Hi,

How does this suit you ... In PS I added a colour correction layer reduced red in the midtones, then added some yellow to the highlights. Finally I used the shadow/highlights filter to put a little more light into the shadow areas ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:40 AM   #7

Thanks for describing your steps but I think I probably need some hands-on instruction to get this. My software has Brightness/Contrast/Hue controls for each of Red/Green/Blue. I find I'm pretty lost when it isn't just a simple change using just one of the sliders. The local camera stores offer different sessions--I'll keep an eye out for one dealing with this kind of editing.

Thanks again,

Craig
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvrFan View Post
Thanks for describing your steps but I think I probably need some hands-on instruction to get this. My software has Brightness/Contrast/Hue controls for each of Red/Green/Blue. I find I'm pretty lost when it isn't just a simple change using just one of the sliders. The local camera stores offer different sessions--I'll keep an eye out for one dealing with this kind of editing.

Thanks again,

Craig
Hi Craig,

I'm not sure just what software you use, but I probably couldn't help anyway, I've used PS exclusively for several years now, and I'm still learning.

If you can add a colour correction layer (see attachment) basically to reduce red you increase cyan, to reduce green you add magenta, and to reduce blue you add yellow. The above also work in reverse ie. increasing blue reduces yellow etc. as you can see from the screenshot you can apply correction to Highlights, Midtones, and Shadows individually. One feature your software may have is to be able to reduce saturation of individual colours which could help your case.

It's not always straightforward though, complex colour casts can take quite a bit of juggling of settings to achieve a correct look.

Hope you can apply the above in some way, it may help you correct the shot to your liking. ... Jack
Attached Images

Last edited by jachol; Jul 19, 2011 at 1:23 PM. Reason: Add Info
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote