Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:59 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Bryce Canyon National Park

From my travels last week.

Jehan

It was a clear day with some incredibly blue skies.

Along the Navajo Loop Trail. Nikon D90 + Tamron 18-279 VC

Was surprised to see snow in the higher elevations in mid October. Nikon D300s + Nikkor 10.5 FE

4 Image panorama stitched in PSE 8 at Rainbow Point (highest point at Bryce Canyon). Nikon D90

Last edited by Wingman; Oct 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2011, 9:03 PM   #2

Nice shots, That is one of my favorite NP.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:03 PM   #3

Fantastic photos of an amazing area. I made a very brief 2-day visit to Zion NP last year, but didn't have time to see Bryce. I must get out there again!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:20 AM   #4

Great photos of a great place. We used to travel that road quite a bit when we lived in Utah. Thanks for the memories.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:22 AM   #5

Thanks all. I'm always in awe at the vistas in every U.S .national park that I have visited...this one did not dissapoint (even on this second visit). We did a mule trail ride into the canyon floor which gave some very different perspectives...not suitable for photography though

Got some images from Zion NP and Grand Canyon NP (north rim) that I'll post separately.

Jehan
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:50 AM   #6

Hi Wingman,

Very nice shots. Will be at Bryce and Zion next week. Looking forward to the trip, but by the looks of your shots it may be quite cold for us tourists from the tropics.

Any advice for lens (am bringing 18-105, 70-300, and 12-24)?
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Hi Wingman,

Very nice shots. Will be at Bryce and Zion next week. Looking forward to the trip, but by the looks of your shots it may be quite cold for us tourists from the tropics.

Any advice for lens (am bringing 18-105, 70-300, and 12-24)?
Hi Paniolo,

It was a colder than normal when we were out there (weekend of Oct 8)--was in the upper 50's which was comfortable. During my visit in 2009, it ws in the mid 70's--shorts & t-shirt weather. Dress in layers and you should be fine. Bryce in the winter has a beauty unto itself with the white snow contrasting against the orange & red land forms. Zion started out really cold and windy in the morning (40's) but by mid day was a comfortable 70--great hiking weather. BTW, when you visit Zion, do consider the hike up to Angels Landing--not for anyone fearful of heights, but if you decide to do it, it will be worth your while. Caution, it is treacherous/dangerous. I'll post some pix soon.

Re. lenses, I did not have much use for a long zoom. I avoided carrying a lot of bulk. I did not find a lot of opportunities for close-ups (i.e. wildlife, etc). In both parks, vistas are the thing and a wide angle lens provided some impressive coverage. I took my 12-24 mm f4 and a 10.5 mm f2.8 fish eye. At Bryce, I used the FE exclusively. My daughter used a D90 with the Tamron 18-270 which is a great single lens walk-about option that is compact and light weight with good image quality. If I was limited to one lens, an 18-250/270mm (Sigma/Tamron) would be the one.

As for Zion, the canyon walls are steep and close by--once again a wide angle will allow you to capture the scale of Zion. There is occassional use for a 300 mm focal length, but I mostly used the wide angle side.

Hope this helps...PM is you have any additional questions about photo opps etc.

Jehan

p.s. My Canon P&S S90 gave me some great images as well...and fit comfortably in my pocket
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:53 AM   #8

Hey Paniolo, don't know how long you have, transport etc but just south of the east entrance to Zion on Hwy 89 is Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Part. Great place for photo ops. It's been over 20 years since I've been so I don't know if it's change much but I liked it a lot.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:31 PM   #9

Wingman,
Thanks for the info. Would love to hike but knee surgery puts that out of reach (wore out knees by too much hiking and backpacking). Wife bought insulated undies yesterday. I will also bring Panny ZS7 as backup in addotion to my regular stuff.

Scouse,
I will try to fit this in as I have a half day before returning to Vegas.

Thanks for both your inputs. Am very much looking forward to this trip.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
Wingman,
Thanks for the info. Would love to hike but knee surgery puts that out of reach (wore out knees by too much hiking and backpacking). Wife bought insulated undies yesterday. I will also bring Panny ZS7 as backup in addotion to my regular stuff.

Paniolo,

One thing nice about Bryce Canyon is that you can do much of the sightseeing with a very short walks to the rim of the canyon. The main road that runs the length of the park has various look outs that provide great views. I recommend that you drive to the end (the highest elevation at 9000+feet --Rainbow Point) and work your way back since all of the look outs are on the left side. Therefore, pulling off is very easy. WIll look forward to your images.

Jehan