Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:51 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Rocky Mtn Nat. Park (6 Images)

Visited RMNP in July and enjoyed 4 days of great hiking and photo treking. Weather was great and provided for some excellent photo ops. I had my fill of hiking and as always, a great enjoyment of our National Parks. Got some good wild life pix as well which I've post in the Wildlife section:Rocky Mountain Wildlife

Gear: Nikon D300s/D90/Canon S90 (P&S); Nikkor 12-24 f4; 10.5mm Fish Eye, Tamron 18-270mm VC.

Jehan

#1:Classic view of Hallet Peak from Bear Lake. Was at this spot at about 6:30 AM and was lucky to have the surface of the water look like a mirror.

#2: Hiked to Emerald Lake and captured this alternate view of Hallet Peak against Emerald Lake.

#3: Glacial bowls made for great opportunities to use my 10.5mm fish eye lens. Location was at the Alpine Visitor's Center on Trail Ridge Road.

#4: Hiked 4.4 miles each way with an almost 3000 ft ascent up to Flat Top Mountain (12,000+ feet in elevation). Along the way was an overlook for Emerald Lake (see earlier pix).

#5: My wife and daughter making the strenuous hike up to Flat Top Mountain. We are above the tree line here and hiking in the alpine tundra. Air is pretty thin up here.

#6:At the end of the trail, one has the chance to get up close to the Tyndall Glacier--one of 5 that are active in the park. Hallet Peak in the background & Long's Peak in he distance.

Last edited by Wingman; Aug 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:28 PM   #2

Wonderful photos of a very special place. I visited RMNP several years ago in late May. At the time Bear Lake and Dream Lake were both gorgeous, but Emerald Lake was still covered with ice. I tried to hike up Flathead Mountain but the snow was too deep, and the weather was deteriorating rapidly, so I turned around. I hope to return someday fairly soon!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:48 PM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Thanks Mtnman..it was my second trip to RMNP. The previous visit was in the Fall which treated me to some beautiful Fall foliage, but access to parts of the park including Trail Ridge road was limited.

Too bad you could not make it up the Flat Top Mountain trail. It was an exhuasting yet exhillarating trek. I would have gone the remaining half mile to Hallet Peak, but with an approaching thunderstorm, thought it best to make it back below the tree line.

Jehan

Last edited by Wingman; Aug 20, 2012 at 5:55 PM.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote