Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old May 27, 2013, 12:17 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Default Nagoya castle, Japan

Travelled to Japan earlier this week. Here is Nagoya Castle, a maor attraction for local and foreign tourists alike in Nagoya, Japan. More info here: http://www.nagoyajo.city.nagoya.jp/13_english/index.html

Canon S90.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2013, 10:46 PM   #2

Classic shot!
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 8:34 PM   #3

Default Fukuoka Castle

Very nice! I also just got back from Japan (Fukuoka). Here is the Fukuoka Castle. To the left is an old ginko tree (one of many) that was planted for food in case of a seige.
Attached Images

paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4

Coming from Wales... I didn't expect this kind of building when I saw "Castle" in the title...lol...
Very nice however...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:30 AM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Coming from Wales... I didn't expect this kind of building when I saw "Castle" in the title...lol...
Very nice however...

LOL...Quite understandable! The definitition of a Castle from a European perspective would indeed be quite different. Nagoya Castle has a moat that sorrounds it as well as auxilliary buildings and sorrounding gardens that make up the site. In addition it is built up on a stone foundation which served as protection against artillery as well as soldiers. Paniolo's image shows the stone foundation wall. Therefore, I think it meets the definition of a "Castle". Expectedly in Japan, everything is somewhat space constrained; the scale in comparison to a European castle is much smaller.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:57 AM   #6

Sorry, I was confused. We visited the remains of the Fukuoka Castle (only remains of the castle site exist). This is the Kumamoto Castle (city south of Fukuoka) that we went to for a day trip on the bullet train.

Watched a video on the design - high, almost vertical stone walls also have the floor cantilevered out at the exterior sides to defend against ninja attackers.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 2:54 PM   #7

Indeed Jehan... all the boxes ticked for castle qualification... and to be fair,much more aesthetically pleasing, as opposed to the rugged functionality of European (and certainly Welsh) castles.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:17 PM   #8

This is a good picture of the castle. I was there in 1999. The top of the main building was damaged by the Allied bombing and was rebuilt after the WWII. This is an old status symbol of Imperial Japan, a must visited site when touring Japan. I remembered the display of Japanese history drawn on picture scrolls behind glass cages/windows. It was very interesting if you had enough time to view them.

Japan is an island nation and small in comparison to the grand palaces of the French, Austrian and Russian. Ancient Japan was like a dog eating dog society where the warlords fought over a small piece of land for a thousand years. Palace like this castle was built to protect the life of the Emperor and Shoguns. In addition to the steep walls, there are gravels lined the rock gardens. The gravels in the gardens serve as an alarm system for intruders as it will make a noise when someone steps on them. This is a way to guard against the Ninja assassins.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote