Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old May 19, 2014, 4:38 PM   #1

Default Europe Trip - Canon 16-35mm f/2.8LII or 17-55mm f/2.8 IS?

Hello all,

I know that there have been many questions and threads regarding what lens to carry when travelling in Europe, but my question is more specific.

I want to carry a wide-angle lens since I will be carrying a crop sensor camera (Canon Xsi) and I will be shooting landscapes. I was browsing through lens rental websites and seems like the two most popular wide-angle zoom lenses available for canon are Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II or Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Any suggestions on which one is better and any major trade offs of one over the other? Also, please feel free to recommend any other lens (Sigma? Tamron?) that you might think will be better than the above two.

My main goal is to get a wide angle lens for landscape shots. In addition, I will also be travelling to cities like Barcelona, Pamplona (Bull Running festival), Amsterdam etc., where I will be needing a faster lens. I am trying not to carry more than one lens with me. So I am looking for a lens that can shoot in most of the situations, while landscape being my main priority. If needed, I was planning to rent a wide-angle prime lens in Iceland (that's where I need a wide angle lens).

Thanks in advance.
ukrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2014, 1:05 AM   #2

Nothing beast a wide angle zoom when you are taking a trip. Both lenses are good ones and you can't go wrong with either one. There is a big price difference between the two. The EF 16-35 mm f/2.8 L has a better built quality but it larger and heavier. The EFS-17-55mm f/2.8 IS is cheaper by $800 USD, lighter but without the weather seal. There is a EF 17-40mm f/4 L which costs about the same as the EFS-17-55mm f/2.8 IS but it is a L lens. There is an advantage buying a L lens because it can be used on both FF and APS-C camera. The EFS-17-55mm f/2.8 IS, however, gives you a little longer reach though. I personally own the EF 17-40mm f/4 L and I like it a lot and used it extensively for traveling abroad. I bought mine refurbished through the Canon company website for $560 shipped including shipping and California Sales Tax. By the way, L lens also comes with a lens shade and a fabric pouch which are not included with EF-S lenses.
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote