Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Apr 7, 2004, 1:05 PM   #1

Default Do and Don'ts of Caring for Equipments in Seasonal Countries

I intend to travel to Europe and US in the second half of this year.

In my bag, I have a Canon 300D, 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f2.8L IS and 550Ex Falsh. Of course with my Apple Powerbook as well.

Not sure what to with the plastic bags trip when going in and out of places with temperature difference.

I would also like to learn all first hand information from fellow photographers, in different part of the world, on the do and don'ts of photography equipments.

Suggestions on beautiful places and time of year are also welcome. I haven't set nor finalised on my trip round the globe.

Cheers!
billyteoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2004, 9:16 AM   #2

Here are a few tips that I found while researching travel photography before my trip last week.

: Take a tripod. Find a nice small one that you can pack easily (like in your checked luggage). You never know when you'll need it. It will allow you to take full advantage of all the shutter speeds, apertures etc. I had a lot of people tell me I wouldn't use it, but boy did I!
: Bring lots Ziploc bags. In case it's raining, you can wrap your equipment up in the bags to protect them.
: Silica Gel Packs. You can pick these up by the hundereds at your local shoe store. These will eat up moisture that may cause condensation.
: Take a spiral notebook. You can write down bus times, names of people, things to do, settings (EXIF, of course, comes normally with the picture file).
: Use black electrical tape, or duct tape. Theives are attracted to logos, in particular Lowepro, Tamrac. If they see a logo of one of those companies, or any other camera manufacturer/ bag maker, they'll jump. Just cover the logos on your cameras, lenses, flashes, and bag, with color coordinated tape or black electrical tape.
: Make an itemized list of your equipment. Also write down serial numbers to. I'm not sure if Europe US has a duty tax, but you may want to either a) register your equipment a your local customs office, or b) get your proof of purchases. I'm not exactly sure in Malaysia, but search on your government's customs site.

Good luck and I hope you have a great experience!!
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:27 AM   #3

On my trip to Malaysia, I found that condensation would form on the lenses on my camera when I leave an air conditioned place (after having spend a long time there) for the outdoors. A lens cloth cleared it up quick however.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote