Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Oct 4, 2004, 11:32 AM   #1

Not sure where to post this question but I thought this is a good place to start. I will be taking a trip to Vegas and the Grand Canyon next June. I'll only have a day and a half at the Canyon and wanted some advice from people who have been there on where to go (and when) for good photo ops. I'm also considering a helicopter tour - any advice on shooting techniques from inside a helicopter? Would I be better suited to use a wide angle (I have a drebel and plan on purchasing a 17-40L before the trip) or a more telephoto lense? Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:29 PM   #2

Hi John;

I've never been to Vegas or the Grand Canyon, but if you're looking for things to photograph, check out http://www.beautiful-landscape.com/. Alain Briot has taken some stunning shots of the area. Check out his Antelope Canyon portfolio; there are some absolutely stunning shots there.

My brother-in-law recommends Zion and Bryce canyon... and Monument Valley.

Let us know how things turn out.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:50 PM   #3

John,

I prefer the North Rim & its Bright Angel Point, especially at sunset if you can get pass the myriad of photographers and find a good spot. From LV it takes longer and one way is pass Zion Nat'l Park. If you go to the South Rim, consider a drive to Sedona to the south for it's outstanding red rock scenery...Harvey
ltdedorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 4:25 PM   #4

In Vegas, check out Red Rock Canyon just outside of the city, and the Valley of Fire, at the top of Lake Meade about 65 mi. northeast of it. From the south rim of the GC, try Hopi Point at sunset (very crowded), or one of the two eastern points; Yaqui is one, can't remember the other. They offer a pretty economical half day raft trip through Glen Canyon from the dam to Lee's Landing, the beginning of the Grand Canyon. No rapids, just slow, flat water posing no danger to your equipment and offering mucho photo ops.

Also, I second the recommendation of a side trip to Sedona - it matches or exceeds all of the above in beauty.
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:55 PM   #5

I did the very trip (Vegas to GC South Rim) over the Labor day long weekend. My advice: plan to stay longer. :-) We made it into a day trip, with two drivers it was still fatiguing at the end of the day (4.5-5 hours each way).

Also, if travelling by car you'll reach Hoover Dam at the NV/AZ border - which you might like to stop and have a look. Plan to arrive or stay for the duration of either early morning or late afternoon for the sunrise/sunset. If you're there in the middle of the day, it will look flat. The views will still take your breath away, but when it looks flat in real life, it doesn't capture well on camera either. You'll want some long shadows from a low sun to create depth in the photos. If you have the time, you might like to do a little hiking down into the canyons. There are plenty of hiking options for all fitness levels, all laid out at the visitor centre there (at South Rim - the touristy part).

Here's my effort:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...75&forum_id=86

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:12 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice Onyx. We'll be driving up Monday morning and staying Monday night and Tuesday night at the Canyon. I was thinking sunset photos Monday & maybe Tuesday, get up early Tues and do some sunrise photos then do some hiking. I would like to do the helicopter ride either Mon or Tue late afternoon.Great photo by the way!

Tom, those pictures were GORGEOUS. It's a little daunting to see stuff like that. I'd love to have a week to spend there but everyone else in the group is all about Vegas and considers one of the great wonders of the world to be an 'interesting side trip' :?

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 6:58 PM   #7

Take a look at this - http://phototravelercatalog.com/cgi-...440+1097130558

This place sells small bound books that gives you ideas of where/when to take pics in different places. The above link it directly to their Arizona & Grand Canyon book.

I purchased their Glacier NP book when I took my trip and it was great.

Hope this helps a little & good shooting.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 4:32 PM   #8

If you had the time, Tuweep on the North side of the canyon is an amazing place most people don't see.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/grandcanyon/tuweep/

It's the only place along the whole canyon you can look strait down to the river.
Attached Images

DukeH is offline   Reply With Quote