Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:07 PM   #11

It's very difficult to take a photograph of someone's back and actually survive the onslaught of ribbing and criticism. You've broken the rule, geoff, and will survive the terror because you've thrown the center of interest out to that wonderful wheelishmoving net and the little whim of over-exposed glint that pushes out from the right side of his head.

The perspective thrust into the background is enhanced by the motion of the net, and the slight blur in net central adds another dimension of movement.

Exposuretickles the boundaries on the right side of the fisherman but doesn't tickle too hard. You've actually used the harsh light here to your advantage via that nifty little rule.

This is a fine photograph indeed. I've looked at some of your other recent postsas well, and good on them, but this one is pro stuff as far as I'm concerned. Nice touch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as though this fisherman is near the northwest end of Galilee with Gennesaret and Capernaum behind him? Or am I totally backwards on this guess?
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2004, 11:33 PM   #12

Wow, Norm, that was quite a critique! And I appreciate so much your compliment. If this picture is pro quality then it must have been an accident! :roll:

Norm, this was late afternoon so the sun was in the southwest which would have been approximately to the right in the picture. That means we're looking SSE and Capernaum would be to our backs in the picture. I think we were approximately in the north-central area of the lake when this picture was taken. We actually launched from the northeastern portion of the lake (and returned there). Also, Tiberias would have been to the right in the photo.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 1:32 AM   #13

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Because the primary purpose of the tour was not photography, I found that I was always rushing to grab a shot and never really had the time to look for the good angles or to wait for the good light. I took perhaps 2000 pictures but only a small percentage of those will really be worth the effort to post-process and perhaps post to the forums.
So true. I spent four days in NYC in August, and though I did manage to get some good shots, Iknew there were many other opportunities I would have to forego.

This is a very nice shot. For some strange reason, I could not download it for several days, but now that I see it, it is worth the wait.

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:22 AM   #14

Tom... thanks for looking in and commenting!!
Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:16 AM   #15

Hey geoffs,
Good tip on the sunny 16 rule. I'd never heard of it before but it seems to make sense.
I'm going on holiday to Goa on Wednesday so l'll definately keep that one in mind.
Thanks again.
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:03 PM   #16

You're welcome, Mealers! I hope you bring back some real good photos from your trip to Goa...