Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:54 AM   #1

On my recent trip to Israel I was treated to a demonstration of the fishing technique of the people living around the Sea of Galilee 2000 years ago.

Canon 20D, 17-85mm @ 26mm, 1/160 sec, f/16, ISO 200.
Cropped, curves, shadow/highlight adjust, USM.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2004, 1:02 AM   #2

Interesting picture. Looks like you had lots of photo opportunities. Hope your vacation was great.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 1:07 AM   #3

Thanks, Suzan!

I did indeed have a wonderful time during my trip to Israel and Jordan. There were so many things to see and do. Photo opportunities were abundant but I found out that taking advantage of those opportunities would be very difficult when travelling with a tour group. Because the primary purpose of the tour was not photography, I found that I was always rushing to grab a shot and never really had the time to look for the good angles or to wait for the good light. I took perhaps 2000 pictures but only a small percentage of those will really be worth the effort to post-process and perhaps post to the forums.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:45 AM   #4

That must have been frustrating. I hate to miss a photo opportunity, looks like you are taking plenty of shots with the 20D:-), nice shot by the way.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 11:50 AM   #5

great shot geoff! GREAT shot of action! beautifully blurred net, and great job with exposure (tough subject...white clothes!)

great shot, that tells a great story,

looks like it was beautiful boat too!

gj geoff!

i agree about the vacation/tour problem with photography...i took a trip to the smokies last july....which wasn't a "photo trip" even though i pretty much turned it into one

but the ideal thing for photography would be to spend a couple weeks, to go wherever you want, whenever you want...

but, looks like you did well here, made good use of the time you had!

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:53 PM   #6

Thanks, Vito and Julie!

Vito, I tried my darned hardest to get good shots even though I was rushed by the group. I think the group was getting mad at me because I'd always be lagging behind trying to take photos! :-)

The 5 fps burst mode of the 20D really helped me get this shot - it's a great feature to be able to have available.

As someone else on another forum mentioned to me, a good rule for taking pictures in harsh lighting conditions like this is called the Sunny-16 Rule. Quite by accident I apparently followed the rule and ended up getting a well-exposed shot. Do a Google search on Sunny-16 and Rule and you will get lots of hits.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:20 PM   #7

yeeah...the ole' sunny 16...

lol, i know only knew about it because i've read about every book the library has on photography

well....i'll say it again...nice shot

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:31 PM   #8

Very nice !

I wonder just how similar the scene was when Jesus "said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught." ?

Regards, John

pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:38 PM   #9

Hi, John, and thanks!

I believe the scene was probably pretty much the same except that the boat was sure to be a bit smaller :-) In fact, here is a picture of the remnants of a fishing boat of 2000 years ago that is preserved and displayed in a museum at Nof Ginosar along the shores of the Sea of Galilee:

Attached Images

Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:56 AM   #10

Thanks Geoffs, that is fascinating !
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote