Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:30 AM   #1

Thanks to the superzoom on the Lumix, in addition to the Oly C210 1.9X teleconverter, I was able to take the following picture of Gamera (giant, flying, fire breathing, radio-active, space turtle and "friend to all children") at a safe distance, as he destroyed a building in Yamagata, Japan. The creature came thisclose to destroying the factory where Panasonic produces the Lika-Leica lenses for the Lumix.

[img]www.qualcall.biz/photos/Gamera.jpg[/img]
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2004, 9:06 AM   #2

Fanatastic shot, Nick. Leaves me breathless. That c210 gets the job done. Did you use the flash on this one? Looks a little noisy. What was the iso?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 9:14 AM   #3

Thanks, Fred. I'm quite proud of it.

It is a bit noisy but the power was out in the city due to the creature's rampage. It's also cropped and blown up 200% with Genuine Fractals... I didn't, obviously, want to get too close to this action. settings were f-2.8, iso 400, 1/60th - no flash. It was a hand-held shot. Took it just before I fled the scene.

The most amazing this about this creature, apart from its size, ability to fly (jet-propelled, yet), and ability to breath fire, is that it's also bipedal, as seen in this photo.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:25 AM   #4

Thank God he did not destroy the Lika-Leica Factory, or we would not have Lumix's, and would have to settle for sub-standard digicams (unless we wanted to pay twice as much money).

Hmmmmmm... I wonder if that building in the pic was edible after he got done cooking it....
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:16 AM   #5

bobc wrote:
Quote:
Hmmmmmm... I wonder if that building in the pic was edible after he got done cooking it....
C'mon, Bob, are you hitting the crack pipe again? Buildings aren't edible - cooked or otherwise! However, the Japanese military estimates that Gamera would provide enough turtle meat to make approx. 350,000 liters of snapper soup, enough to end all hunger in Japan. If only they could capture and kill it! But the caveat is it would require 10,000 liters of cooking sherry.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:34 AM   #6

Brilliant taking it in black & white also, with the low light situation and the potential for chromatic abberations on Gamera's intense, multi-color flame. This isn't an IR filter, is it? Kudos, it was quite a risk --the smell of Gamera's breath could have killed you even from 2 miles away.
stuartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:23 PM   #7

stuartw wrote:
Quote:
Brilliant taking it in black & white also, with the low light situation and the potential for chromatic abberations on Gamera's intense, multi-color flame. This isn't an IR filter, is it?
Thank you! No, it's not IR, it was a "happy accident". You see I was relaxing in a cheap motel in Yamagata late one evening - wearing only a pair of lederhosen, sipping a glass of cheap bourbon, snacking on a half bag of stale Doritos someone left in the room, listening to my favorite roller-rink organ music CD. I was lazily thumbing through a Japasese version of Glamour magazine, when I heard the creature's roar and a comotion outside!

I stopped what I was doing and quick, fumbled for my camera. I screwed on the Oly C210, but the lights flickered and went out as I was going through the set-up menus. I guess the creature knocked out the power lines! In my haste I must have mistakenly set the mode to "monochrome".

Wearing only a pair of lederhosen and a feathered boa, I ran out of the motel room and took the shot!

Quote:
Kudos, it was quite a risk --*the smell of Gamera's breath could have killed you even from 2 miles away.
Indeed! The heat from the creatures firey breath cinged my my best pair of lederhosen. Ruined!

Then I had to evacuate, as the creature approached the flea trap I was staying. It was worth it to get the shot though.
:|
Old Nov 20, 2004, 3:07 PM   #8

OHMYGOD -- he torched your Doritos??

Say, I think people here would pay $$ to see a pic of you in the lederhosen and feathered boa.
stuartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 8:47 AM   #9

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
C'mon, Bob, are you hitting the crack pipe again? Buildings aren't edible - cooked or otherwise!
I beg to differ Nick... Surely you've heard of the leaning tower of Pizza...

:G

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:11 AM   #10

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I beg to differ Nick... Surely you've heard of the leaning tower of Pizza...
Sad.