Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:03 PM   #1

Taishu Engeki is local theatre in Japan..Vaudeville in type that most foreigners are not aware of. I have found most Theatre's are located " off the beaten path ". It will also include traditional dance and traditional singing called <Enka> and modern songs. The Show will last 2 and a half hours.
I have to mention that .....I would say...75 % of the audience is over 70 years old. If you want a seat that you might feal be perfect for photgraphy show up early. The old timers are there at least an hour and a half before show time.
The stage's are small, the seating capacity maybe 200 or less. In a couple Theatre's I have been to , you sit on the floor<Tatami Mat>.
All seat's are the same price , converting to U.S. $$$ between $15. & $20.
You can bring your own food<<< and beverage of choice..for me.. Sake...! Eating while the actors are performing if you so desire is the norm.

Here is a great link giving more insight with this type of Theatre in relation to Japanese culture.
EDIT INSERT>>>after going to link scroll down on left side towrd the bottom and click
Taishu Engeki....
http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=14215197

Now what most foreigners do when going to Japan is go on to the Kabuki-Za Theatre. In Tokyo it is located in Ginza District. The Theatre stage is BIG in comparison it holds more people and the seats run from U.S. $ 25. to $ 160. and NO credit card accepted.

EDIT INSERT>>>I didn't mean this thread to be a poll.
Attached Images

John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2005, 3:32 PM   #2

The traditional dance is a photographers dream. What I mean is ...they dance(perform) for about 30 seconds to 1 minute then the body comes to a stop . Not like a " robot" dance stop. The performer quickly slows down to a stop and at the same time the head ( may ) slowly tilt or turn and comes to a graceful stop . The stop last for 1 to 3 seconds and the music is in sync with the stop. >>>That is when I start into action and with my camera. <<<Then the song starts up again and the performer becomes animated...this cycle continues for the duration of the song. Meanwhile the foriegner wonders in the audience ....is this the end of the song and should I applaud. No need to feal embarrased, the audience<<the locals>>applaud several times(( but not always)) .. when they come to a stop in the song. Don't be startled if an audience member by chance sitting next to you will YELL out the name of the performer.
That is as much of a complement as an applause from the audience.

Video not allowed ! Photography YES ! Even flash ok. But those that don't know, Do Not Use Flash. In most situations Flash will ruin your picture. The combination of there spot lights the overhead gel lights is more than suficient to get the perfect shot.
Attached Images

Old Feb 21, 2005, 4:05 PM   #3

One more in the Taishu Engeki...
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:42 PM   #4

Here is an example of a Theatre where you sit on the Tatami Mat. You have the option of renting fold out seats for.. 300. That converts to a little under $ 3.00
No shoes allowed in here.
The narrow wooden strip down the middle is for actors to sometimes come down towards the audience.
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:49 PM   #5

There are only two Taishu Engeki Theater's located in Yokohama. This is one of them with standard seats and I'm taking the picture from the>>> last row<<<.
Over to the left directly below the banner has capacity for about 20 people. However they sit on Tatami Mats and are at stage level.
Attached Images

Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:30 PM   #6

Wonderfull shots JohnG
Wonderfull story too
Thanks...
#1 pic is exceptional
:-)
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:31 PM   #7

Wonderfull shots JohnG
Wonderfull story too
Thanks...
#1 pic is exceptional
:-)

btw cigars are cool my weakness
boyzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:54 PM   #8

Thanks Boyzo...I'm puffin as we speak.
.....JNTO..Japan National Tourist Organization is a Great place to find all kinds of info about Japan but I'm quite surprised they don't bring to mention of this type of local Theatre.
That's why I kinda went into detail.

Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:09 PM   #9

boyzo wrote:
Quote:
cigars are cool my weakness

Me too boyzo.

John....what spectacular captures. Those dancers are enchanting. How wonderful for you to enjoy them so and bring them back with you.
shotgunbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:30 PM   #10

Thanks Joe