Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:27 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

while I'm waiting for my sigma lens, I went on a trip and took some pictures with the 50mm f1.8 canon lens at San Juan Capistrano, CA. Any comments on the pictures taken below are much appreciated since I'm still learning. Also, all pictures were taken with manual, I seemed to learned much faster with manual setting lol

Believe it or not, I took more pictures of flowers and ponds instead of my girlfriend and friends lol...

Regards,

Casey

rally123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2005, 7:33 AM   #2
Administrator

For future posts in this forum, please see guideline number 4:

Quote:
Please post only one image per thread...this will allow each image to be judged on it's own merits and keeps the thread on topic.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=49777&forum_id=90

Note that more than oneversion of the same image is OK (here it is cropped differently, etc.). But, lets try to keep it to one photo being critiqued per thread here so that the comments are more focused.

Thanks!

Jim C.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:24 AM   #3

Looks like I posted on the wrong forums, sorry Jim! You can move this thread to travel forums if you would like.

Thanks!

Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:30 AM   #4
Administrator

rally123 wrote:
Quote:
Looks like I posted on the wrong forums, sorry Jim! You can move this thread to travel forums if you would like.
No apologies needed. Manymembers miss this guideline when posting to Critiques and Techniques.So, I'm making it a habit to point it out (so others users notice it, since it's within a thread that others will look at).

I'll move it ot the Travel Forum now.

Jim C.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:43 AM   #5

I'll give it a go. From the perspective of photographic competition, which I've been involved with for years, and please don't take offense at a little gentle constructive criticism:

Pic 1 - I like her pose, and the lighting. But the background is a little too obtrusive for my taste. The truncated sign on the right is very distracting.

2 - This is a beautifully composed shot, wouldn't change composition one milimeter. But a little bit of extra light might help it, either bounce flash or with a reflector.

3 - For flower photography, you ought to buy a good macro lens which can go down to 3:1 or better, or extension rings. Then you have to worry about how to illuminate the subject - best thing is ring light. Here, you haven't moved in quite close enough to make the flower dominate the scene, and I'm not certain it's sharp enough to compete.

4 - I like this, but a judge would be looking for the center of interest, such as someone relaxing at one of the tables. Not a crowd, but just one person or couple.

5 - That one looks pretty good! If I had to complain, it would only be that you can't see them stem, so that the flower seems to float in mid-air. It could be slightly sharper.

6 - Now you've got the stem, and it's pretty sharp, but the background kills it. Yeah, I know, to get the stem you had to look up and there was the sky. We carry a sheet of black velvet to use as an unobtrusive background. One day I'll get around to spray painting it with a little dark green paint to make it look more natural.

7 - Again, it's the background, but you could simply crop it out. Except for the bench, which she maybe could have been sitting on! Also, a little more light on her face.

You have the basics, just need to fine tune it. We have in our camera club a former photo editor from National Geographic Magazine - lucky us! He harps on "seeing" the photograph before taking the shot. Run your eye around the whole picture and look fordistracting elements or other problems. For some reason, when we look through the viewfinder, we don't see the same things that will show up in the print. So we have to train ourselves to see the print in the viewfinder.

Keep it up, and bring us some more!

jimjomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:16 PM   #6

Jimjomac - awesome critiques! thanks a bunch. I went frompoint and shoot to DSLR and its been pretty tough in the early stages. I've been visiting this forums more often and tried to grasp some of the tips to take good pictures.I plan to take photography class as I've only been reading tutorials to take better pictures. Thanks again Jim!