Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:23 PM   #11

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
CP-140 - isn't that the Canadian designation for the Lockheed P-3 Orion? that's also one helluva plane, for the mission it was intended to fill...

years ago, i actually built a model kit of the F-101. Monogram came out with it in 1/48 scale, and you could choose 409 squadron markings, which i did... i think i might even still have it, in a box in the attic or something...
The CP-140 Aurora is a much-modified P-3 Orion designed to Canadian specificationstoperformin adual maritime patrol/ anti-submarine role. It's been around a long time. The original civilian aircraft, the Lockheed Electra, first flew in the 1950's and I believe the P-3 dates from the 1960's.

TransCanada Airlines flew Electras on short-haul domestic routes for years. I can recall flying aboard these aircraft as a kid and how scared I was because they were so noisy.

It'd be if you could find that model and post a pic of it. I built the samemodel as a kid, with the 409 markings, in 1964 or '65. Quite a coincidence.

It's really interesting talking to you.

toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:21 PM   #12

yeah, i worked on avionics for P-3's while i was in the navy, back in the mid-70's. i've flown in them before... no room for anything but [classified], the aisle down the middle was about 30" wide... it was absolutely amazing what those airplanes could do, though...

like i said, that old CF-101 model is in a box up in the attic or some such thing. i'll have to rummage around this weekend while i'm putting away the Christmas decorations, and see if i can find it, and if it's still intact...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:56 AM   #13

Thanks folks for so much information. Like those birds but never been near one.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:22 AM   #14

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:

like i said, that old CF-101 model is in a box up in the attic or some such thing. i'll have to rummage around this weekend while i'm putting away the Christmas decorations, and see if i can find it, and if it's still intact...
I really, really hope you can find it. It should bring back a lot of memories. (I'm not putting you under too much pressure, am I?)
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:26 PM   #15

okay, Toshi, i found that old CF-101 model... it was a bit the worse for having sat in an open box in the attic for years -i had to reattach the main gear struts, and the pitot tube on the nose is broken off, but it's not in too bad a condition.it's pushing 20 years since i built it, andit spent a lot of that time on display in a hobby shop window, so the markings have faded quite a bit... and the light wasnn't real good when i took these, pretty gray and overcast, but i prefer outdoor light to a flash... much more even...

Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:42 PM   #16

Wow, what a beautiful model! You did a great job building it, and the photos are excellent.

If I were you, I'd put that beauty in a display case for all to see. Very impressive, and it brings back a lot of fond memories. Thank you very much for sharing this. :-)
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:07 PM   #17

toshi43 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, what a beautiful model! You did a great job building it, and the photos are excellent.

If I were you, I'd put that beauty in a display case for all to see. Very impressive, and it brings back a lot of fond memories. Thank you very much for sharing this. :-)
thanks. actually, that's not my best work by a good margin. for a while there in the mid-late 80's, i was into modeling pretty heavy, and took home a lot of awards from local and regional contests... but then myclose-upvisionstarting going, and i pretty much got out of that hobby.