Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1

I'm headed to Paris in late May for 12 days with my Olympus E-1 outfit. Anyone been there recently that can report on what I need to watch for from a standpoint of what is/isn't allowed these days? If you are using something that looks "professional" will you be declined entrance to any major site(s)? I ask, not knowing whether I need to use my accessory battery pack or not. I'd like touse itfor the longer battery life, but....if it means the difference between getting to take images or not in a major site I'll leave the pack at home.

Thanks.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:08 PM   #2

I'd watch out for the pretty french girls

Just make up a fake business card that says your with some travel publication and you'll be all set.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:50 PM   #3

While you are looking up to take a picture, be careful not to step in "poodle bombs". I just went to Paris in November but took the kids to Disney so we only spent one day downtown. I didn't run into any problems taking pictures except at the Louvre. I was surprised at how many places in the Louvre that you are actually allowed to take pictures but they don't allow it at the major attractions due to crowd control. I think the only plave I couldn't photograph was some of the Paintings and the Mona Lisa.

I think you will enjoy it but also keep your equipment close to you when walking around. When we went there weren't too many people out (too cold) so we were able to move around with ease but when it gets crowded, that's when you things start to disapear.

Have fun.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2006, 9:54 AM   #4

Hi Greg, Paris is a great city, very easy to get around and very photogenic. Late May is when the real tourist crowds start to hit the city, so I'd advise getting up and about early enough if you want to capture some nice shots. There aren't many places that would refuse you entrance based on your kit alone, and those that would are plainly marked in English. So don't be too concerned about that.

Apart from the Louvre, as HH66 already mentioned, Notre-Dame is the other big no-no. You can walk along the grounds snapping away to your hearts content, but no camera's inside.

I would advise going to the Sacré-Coeur, not only is it one of the highest old buildings in the city, but it is on top of one of the highest hills too. Take the back door stairs to the top of the church and the views are magnificent. I would also advice walking around the streets near by. There are loads of twisty streets and local markets.

Also a Seine river cruise is a must, the city is at its most beautiful from the water. Bring that battery pack, you are going to need it!!

kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2006, 2:56 PM   #5

I try not to use a flash even when I can. You have everyone taking flash pictures at the same time and you get horrible results. I remember taking pictures of the Pieta at St. Peters behind the glass. A few idiots had monster flashes that just bounced off the glass. Observe the no flash and no picturerules. I saw a Franciscan smash a camera at the Bascilla of St. Francis of Assisi because the idiot lit up half the building with a giant flash even though it stated no pictures at the door. Many sites enforce it.

You can ask to take no flash pictures in many places that don't allow pictures. Some will allow you, if you have good cameras. I was able to in a few churches by asking permission and explaining that I don't use a flash. On my S45 it is electrical taped over. I wish the flash could be removed from the E-500.

mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:00 AM   #6

Well, the trip was fantasic. Took tons of shots, saw many gorgeous cathedrals, ate lots of really good pastries and walked it all off while I was there. The images are on my website here:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1547796

I still have a few images to add as of today, but it's close to complete as-is. Gotta go back. Still way to much to see that I couldn't fit in during the 12 days I was there.

Greg
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote