Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Apr 2, 2006, 7:45 AM   #1

Just a picture of Leonidas statue where i live..
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:17 PM   #2

Are you from Sparta, too, as with Leonidas, Hercules?
Then, why don't you use 'Heracles' rather than its Roman version? :-)
In fact I don't often visit this part of the forum. Yet I could not help but have a look after having seen the name
Leonidas who was killed in the battle of Thermopylae. Maybe you have also read the novel by Steven Pressfield entitled Gates of Fire whose subject matter is the battle of Thermopylae. He does a very good issue there, which consequently compels one to read Tides of War also.
I thought Leonidas was written as Λεωνίδας in Greek. But this might be some early form of inscription. Btw, does this statue stand in the garden of a school building or sth?
Anyway, let's commemorate him with these well known words:

Go, tell the Spartans, stranger passing by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie

Rgds,
Bahadır
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:30 AM   #3

Yes i am from Sparta, and the statue is at the ancient city of Sparta. I don't know what button to hit so i can write Greek in this forum as if i wrote HPAKLHS in greek no one would understand..
Old Apr 3, 2006, 1:14 PM   #4

No, not at all :-)
Unfortunately, what I meant above was a bit further from simply suggesting you write Ηρακλης=Herakles in Greek or in Latin characters for your username.
Anyway, thanks for the generous response..and I must say your font color is a good match for a Spartan's cloak:!:

PS.there's also my e-mail quite available.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:29 AM   #5

I think it's sad that everyone knows of the sacrifice of Leonidas and the Spartans, but few know that when the main Greek army withdrew, the Thespian contingent refused to leave the Spartans to die alone.

The Spartans were professional soldiers, while the Thespians were a citizenmilitia, led by an architect. The Spartans were so impressed with thebravery of the Thespians that they traded cloakswith them, and swore that Sparta and Thespia would be allies forever.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:11 PM   #6

They weresloughteringthe persians, and what the spartans were out numbered buy thousands but they were still winning the only reason they lost was because someone ratted on were they will be next.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:16 PM   #7

The battle was a great psychological victory for Greece. Not only did the Spartans gain time for the Greeks to rally, they also gave the Persian army a taste of what it was like to fight a disciplined force of hoplites.

Leonidas was planning to die. An oracle had told that Sparta would survive, if her king died. He took only men who had sons to carry on the family name.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2006, 4:11 AM   #8

Hi, Barbarian. I'm quite pleased to find to your trace somewhere! You're such a conneisseur :-)
I have read some quite thougtful commentory from you about the Thermopylae issue, which signals to true knowledge. They went there , literally, to die!; and thus allowing ample time for a united greek force to gather. So any speculation about a probable victory is not only absurd but also is an underestimation, if not an insult, to the dramatic decision of those who fought the battle to death.
In fact talking about history, especially making presumptions about it requires some certain faculties, or else the danger is real, one may end up sounding like a mawkish school boy :G
Anyway, (enough of lecturing!!) I will bring two characters
depicted by Pressfield in his historical novel, Gates of Fire which I mentioned above: Dienikes and Polynikes...
The first, a senior warrior, the wise type who thinks there's nothing gloriour about cutting people. And the latter, an arrogant figure, a wardog I might even say.
All through the novel the tension between these two figures who almost appear as the protagonist and the antagonist of the story, leads the reader's expectancy for a final clash.
Yet, because they are on the same side, in the Spartan force, they find themselves sharing the same destiny fighting against the common threat..At least for this particular episode of history (maybe they had met before as Hector and Achilles much earlier)!!
You see how types remain while names may vary..

Bahadır.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 1:44 AM   #9

Bahadir, the inscription on the statue base reads, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ, which translates to, "come and get them!". this was Leonidas' reply to Xerxes when Xerxes demanded that Leonidas and his band lay down their arms in order to be spared.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:54 AM   #10

Thanks for your kind translation, squirl, I appreciate and know this saying very well :-)