Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Apr 28, 2006, 2:08 AM   #11

Kefin, I went to Egypt in 2003 for a few weeks. We arrived in Cairo just as the US was invading Iraq - against all advice. What we found was a country and a people who welcomed foreigners. As we were reminded constantly by the Egyptians themselves, they just wanted to separate us from our money! ¬*Seriously though, at no stage did we feel threatened or unwelcome. So long as you respect their culture and religion by dressing appropriately and by returning their respect you should get along fine.¬*As far as photography and sightseeing goes, we found Luxor to be the richest find, followed by Aswan, Abu Simbel and Islamic Cairo.¬*¬*Cairo is heavily polluted, so you may need a break in the country, rather than spend too many consecutive days in the city. Having said that, Cairo has many wonderful mosques, markets and street scenes. I would love to go back there with better equipment (I only had a Fuji 602Z = a 3mp camera - which I didn't understand very well). So I am envious of you.¬*¬*Despite the poor quality I have some shots on: http//broady.smugmug.com¬*¬*¬*¬*Have a great time!¬* ¬*[img]/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
keithinmelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 4:31 AM   #12

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
Each to there own, just fyi there are several EU countries advising not to travel there so I would say its very much more dangerous than me staying at home - anywayhope you enjoy your holiday.

But then again Im against holidaying in countries where westerners arent welcomed or which are almost 3rd world in conditions for local people. No matter what the history.
Hi Audioedge, I respect your point of view and I understand your concerns. Thanks very much for your replies, its always useful to hear the other side of the coin.We willtake the best of care and hopefully will arrive home safely.
kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 4:34 AM   #13

keithinmelbourne wrote:
Quote:
Kefin, I went to Egypt in 2003 for a few weeks. We arrived in Cairo just as the US was invading Iraq - against all advice. What we found was a country and a people who welcomed foreigners. As we were reminded constantly by the Egyptians themselves, they just wanted to separate us from our money! Seriously though, at no stage did we feel threatened or unwelcome. So long as you respect their culture and religion by dressing appropriately and by returning their respect you should get along fine.As far as photography and sightseeing goes, we found Luxor to be the richest find, followed by Aswan, Abu Simbel and Islamic Cairo.Cairo is heavily polluted, so you may need a break in the country, rather than spend too many consecutive days in the city. Having said that, Cairo has many wonderful mosques, markets and street scenes. I would love to go back there with better equipment (I only had a Fuji 602Z = a 3mp camera - which I didn't understand very well). So I am envious of you.Despite the poor quality I have some shots on: http//broady.smugmug.comHave a great time! [img]/forums/images/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
Thanks very much Keith. We will be in Luxor for the most part, hopefully doing as much of the tourist thing as humanly possible.

I'll try to share as many of my shots as I can when we get back!
kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 6:10 AM   #14

Dear audio, so sorry to say that your statements doesn't sound like responsible ones at all. They are rather like those of some 19th century 'armchair' anthropologists' assumptions justifying colonialism as in a 'his master's voice' fashion.
Please understand that you are speaking about a history and culture rich country whose income rely greatly on tourism industry, too and there are many people there who make a living on tourism. Could it be that there's some other tourist destination you wish to recommend and can qualify as 'western friendly' gladly ignoring, let's say, burning of American flag as an individual act? You see, there are times we are wise enough not to confuse protests against policies of countries with protests against nations themselves :!:
I belive, it's high time we ceased the dangerous inclination of putting butter on the bread of some greedy manuplators making profit on the griefs of peoples.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:13 AM   #15

You can find dangerous places without leaving the US, and there have been more and more deadly terrorist attacks on tourists in the UK than in Egypt.

Nowhere is completely safe,but I refuse to let fear rule my life. The whole point of the attack in Egypt was to bring down a moderate Arab government by attacking its economic base.

We should not help them succeed.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 6:25 AM   #16

I suppose you've gone already. Anyway, I've been to egypt several times and it's by no means dangerous as long as you don't act like an arrogant a***hole. Respect the ppl their culture and you should be fine. I have come across v little in the way of theft.....just be sure to bargain if ur gonna buy anything..remeber, you're a tourist, they are locals. They have V low incomes so they will try make you pay as much as possible for something. Don't drink the water unless it's bottled, don't eat vegetables unless they're boiled, "pharoahs curse" is unpleasant even if u are in a pl....hardies make good quality fast food

anyway...as far as camera goes:

- I tend to avoid swopping lenses in the desert...that way you keep as much dust off ur shutter/mirror.
-DON'T take photo's of a mosque or the ppl around it unless you have sked permission
-be careful of overexposure as the desert is white and can give you some v bad overesposure try using iso 100, fast shutter speed but high f numbers...like f16...then u'll get really nice DOP cos ur shooting huge features.
-if you want an evening shot of the pyramids, you will have to take it from outside the compound....the gate closes around 16:30/1700
-the light show at the sphinx is pretty cool, but a little kitch. a tripod would be nice as you will be working in extreme dark with no chance of using a flash
-the sunsets in Cairo are amazing, make sure you get a few of those....sunset is quite early too...

erm....and that's about it....just keep ur camera strap around ur neck and always cary fresh batteries...

SRXy is offline   Reply With Quote