Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old May 22, 2006, 6:55 PM   #11

Selvin, I am so pleased to receive another insightful and didactic comment from you. Your observation about the faces are so accurate. Despite a year's interval after that shot, we are still communicating and have not forgotten the vivid impression of our surveys.
Upon your reminding of Japan, I recalled my culture based conversations with one of my students Mami Takahashi(the last one at the right handside) who was Japanese oriented.
I should also add that I've always admired Japanese type of Buddhism,Mahayana to such an extend that when I was a University student I even practiced Zazen :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 4:59 AM   #12

Bahadir,

I am glad to see that you have kept communicating with the students. Over the years my wife and I have had the pleasure of hosting several Japanese students in Hawaii mainly while they were attending local Colleges.

We have been fortunate in being able to visit with a few of them and their families on several trips to Japan in the past.We have learned much from each other and will continue to do so.

Some of out visits to Japan have been greatly enhanced by the interaction with these students and their families.

Aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 6:00 AM   #13

Selvin,
Their hardworking, polite and solemn manners are most effecting, isn't it? It was a pleasurable occasion to find out the similarities between my native culture and theirs despite a continent's distance.
Well, they say a good teacher teaches whereas a great teacher inspires..and I certainly believe that this is an innate quality which you also possess.
Btw, your 'cross cultural' travels gave me the hope to expect you and your kind wife here in Anatolia :-)
Old May 26, 2006, 1:52 AM   #14

It certainly inspiring. I must say a well captured shot. With your presumed permission, I wanted to see what happens when shadows are toned down. Don't know if it makes a difference. Hope you don't mind. Regards Jaki.
Attached Images

Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 7:23 AM   #15

Jaki, thank you so much for taking your time for the tweak.
I'd leave that permission to the ones who feel like editing forever, since they simply allow me the chance to reconsider and thus to improve my photos. This is also one of the reasons why I avoid framing them (well, I do not intend to criticize anyone who does frame, for I know it is advisable to do so).
In this example, I've been able to detect the improvement however slightly you seem to have applied it, dear mate.
I am starting to think what is special with South Africa to produce many a talent in photography :-)