Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Travel Photography

Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:49 PM   #1

An inspirational piece of information about this tower, where I shot this photo from, is that; right from its top, an Ottoman inventor Hazerfan Ahmet Çelebi who lived in the 17th century flew over the Bosphorus with the wings he had designed!
Attached Images

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:44 AM   #2

Bahadir,

I thank you for your informative piece on Hazerfan Ahmet Çelebi. I was motivated to do a little research and found that he appears to have learned quite a bit from studying his predecessors as many other great scientists. It is unfortunate he died so young and suffered so much resistance and was banished.

The photograph is also splendid.

aloha
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:52 PM   #3

Selvin, some have such a will power to induce themselves to learn further always, like Hazerfan Ahmet Çelebi and yourself ! These are also the ones who teach the best.. In fact Hazerfan (meaning thousand sciences)who was highlyfavoured by the sultan at first, was later exileddue totheinfluence ofthe religious chancellor

Thanks for your honouring the subject and your compliment for my stitch work photo

Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:53 AM   #4

Hi bahadir, one thing I like about you, not only your excellent photos, but the history lessons that we get to go with them, excellent.Great shot by the way.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:14 PM   #5

After all I am adressing agreatgroup whoshouldn't be taken for granted,my friend! And in this regardI am so happy to hear your contentment
Old Sep 3, 2006, 4:41 PM   #6

Bahadir, it is indeed a wonderful panorama photo.

I agree, it's great you share your knowledge and impart interesting and valuable history lessons to us along the way too. Thanks for your efforts and selflessness in this way (I know writing takes time!) And you being a family man as well as a lecturer, I'm sure you have enough on your plate...

By the way, that's amazing that already in the 17th century such a feat of flying could have been accomplished. How far did he get (over the river from this tower?)

It's a great photo, lovely to have as a wall hanging if one lives in that part of the world (as a familiar scene to look into). I think the photo would have been even better if the city part would not have been so dark (is it in the shade of clouds?)

Thanks again for sharing.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:25 AM   #7

Paul, really,the more one strolls along the passages of history the more astonishing facts one is likely to get. In this aspect I can't help but agree with the saying '' The future is fixed, it is the past which is constantly changing'' And the best thing about it is sharing them with kindred spirits
As a matter of fact, it is not a river what you see(the Golden Horne) but a deep narrow harbour whose entrence is from Bosphorus and extending into land about six kilometers thus creating the Sultanahmet peninsula or Byzantium. Hazerfan Ahmet Çelebi did not fly over the Golden Horne but Bosphorus, which you can see over the heads of the couple watching the scenery and which means a flight for at least a few kilometers!
And as you estimated it was a very contrasty weather with clouds making dark shades over the city..
Thank you for your outstanding appreciation and patience for reading these lines
Old Sep 6, 2006, 9:05 AM   #8

Nice picture bahadir, looks like a splended view as well.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:00 PM   #9

╬│╬Á╬╣╬Č Hercules! Thanks for your appreciation.
Quote:
...looks like a splended view as well
In fact itwas one of these moments which I cursed the limitations of a camera in conveying what human eyecan perceive!!

Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:49 AM   #10

Very impressive shot, Bahadir! I teach a section on the history of science,forPre-AP students,and I was embarassed to realize that I had never heard of this man, Çelebi. Regrettably, western history books generally give the impression that science began in Europe during the Renaissance.

I've spent a lot of timelooking forscientists from other places and times, but I had missed this one. Next year, he'll be in my lecture.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote