Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:58 PM   #1

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and new to photography. I've been using typical point and shoot digicams until recently when I acquired a Canon S2 IS. It's been a fantastic camera, and now I'm looking to purchase a reasonably priced monopod & head to further expand my photography interest.

My budget is around $100 for the monopod and head. I would like to spend a better portion of my budget getting the head since I will get a tripod later on and want to be able to use the head on the tripod too. I've heard good things about ball heads, so that's probably what I want to get unless pros here recommend something else.

For my budget what's the best set of monopod and head for my needs?

Thank you,

wimpwgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2007, 7:42 PM   #2

Don't spend much money on a head for a monopod. You don't need one of the motions that a tripod head has: rotation about a vertical axis. So why pay for it and carry the extra weight? Spend most of your money on the `pod itself. Get a `pod that is very sturdy - one that you can use to stop a charging rhino.

Unless you are going to use it a great deal for portrait mode, this cheap head will serve very well:

Having achived geezerhood, I tend to carry a walking stick when out walking about. A monopod serves that purpose as well. Using the `pod as a walking stick means it really isn't entirely extra weight to carry so one of the Bogen/Manfroto "cast iron" `pods serves me well. Cheap head and `pod well under US$100.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote