Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:15 AM   #1

Has anyone used a Bogen 679B as a trekking pole?

I am looking at the 679B because the weight rating is much higher than many other other monopods @ 22lbs. I am not sure if it is sufficiently stout to be used as a trekking pole. I weigh 200 lbs. I am anticipating that I may regularly put up to 20 to 30 lbs of weight on the pole in normal use. I am primarily thinking about 2 things:

1-How well will the 2 quickrelease lever locks for the sections hold up?Might they start to slip if they wear?

2-I assume I will need a moredurable and possibly better secured (epoxied?) foot. I amconsidering thepossibly of fitting a foot from a cane.

3- I am anticipating fitting a Swivel Tilt head, possibly the 3229. I would like to figure a convenient way to fit a ball on the top so I could have the option of resting my palm on top of the handle in addition to simply gripping the handle like a ski pole. I may have to get my hands on the unit (sorry for the unintended pun) before I can determine how to best do that.

If anyone has used this or a similar monopod as a hiking staff / trekking pole, I would like to hear about it. Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
quantify_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links