Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tripods and Heads

Old May 8, 2007, 6:24 PM   #1

Since I own a heavy zoom telephoto (Tamron BBAR 70-350 f4.5 w/ 2x flat-field tele) I know that I will need to invest in a tripod that will handle my Pentax K10D, battery grip, & this lens ( 8 plus lbs.)..I also plan to do a fair amount of macro photography as time progresses..Since I come from a long line of people that HATE to waste money by buying cheap, & then buying again; I have narrowed my choices down to either the Gitzo 1548 or 1348 tripods..My reasons are that I wish to be able to backpack the tripod into places far from a parking spot, & weight will be a consideration..Also, according to some of the posts on this forum, carbon fiber has better vibration attenuation than does aluminum.. Is this correct?..To the users of either of these tripods; what Gitzoaccessories, if any,did you purchase when buying the tripod?..What are the relative merits of the carbon fiber rapid & extra-low center columns?..What exactly is a geared center column used for?..I am 5'9" tall..Will I need the extra height/ extra weight that comes w/ the 1548?..Uneven ground & eyelevel usage?..The extra 3.4 lbs. for the 1548 is a factor to be considered..When it comes to heads I am really confused..I've read most of the posts in this forum, but I still don't have a good sense of just WHY the people w/ experience who post trully prefer a ball head over a 3-axis tilt head..Will some of the posters please try to explain why you prefer one over the other?..I assume (bad word?) that certain types of photography lend themselves to one type of head over the other?.. THANKS, BRUCE
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 4:49 PM   #2

When a hawk flies overhead, with a panhead you loosen the rotation knob, rotate to the direction of the hawk though you can't see it in the viewfinder yet, then tighten the rotation knob. Then you loosen the vertical lever, scan up or down to the hawk, assuming you rotated to the right angle, tighten the lever, and then shoot if the hawk is still there. With a ballhead you loosen the knob, aim at the hawk, tighten and shoot.

In a studio, with a carefully arranged and lit subject, once the horizontal is perfectly lined up you do not want to mess it up when you align the vertical. With a panhead these are separately adjustable. Changing one does not change the other.

jackkessler is offline   Reply With Quote